Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Headliner 101

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Eagle86K5, Mar 23, 2000.

1. Eagle86K5

Eagle86K5 1/2 ton status

When I bought my K5 the headliner drooped and I finally got tired of the wave when the window was down. Very distracting. The following steps are how I replaced the headliner.

1) I removed all the molding first.The pillers were a bit sticky by the bottom windshied.Careful not to break them.
    2) I then removed the cardboard backing, be careful not to damage it.
    3) I removed all remnents of the liner from the cardboard backing.
    4) I took a wirebrush and scraped all the sponge residue from the cardboard.
    5) I then placed my material, I used grey felt I got at K-Mart, I got about three yards, and placed it on the cardboard and cut a template overlapping a few inches on either side.
    6) I then used 3M yellow spray adhesive and coated the backing with a generous coat. The area is so small it is not neccessary to use any sophisticated means to apply the spray adhesive. In the past I have also rolled and or brushed the glue on.It won't effect the tensile strength of the dried glue.
    7) I then sprayed adhesive on one side of the new liner material, again the area is so small it is you can spray it on any way you would like, might even try circles for the artistic effect. Squares for...well you know...
    8) Then let the adhesive dry to the just tacky stage. Kinda like me....
    9) I laid the material on the tailgate and lowered the cardboard to it. Then turned it over and started to remove the wrinkles by gently lifting the material up and laying it back down.
    10) I then cut the excess material from the backing .
    11) I then reinstalled the backing and replaced all the molding.

Now the proud owner of a new headliner and saved myself the hundred dollars the shop wanted...
    I have left another post directing those who wish to know more about adhesives and their application.

Happy trucking...errrr 4 wheeling.

2. Zack

Zack 1/2 ton status

3. Eagle86K5

Eagle86K5 1/2 ton status

Zack my friend, you will be surprised just how easy it is to do. Took all of an hour...and proud I am every time I sit in the ole gal....kinda ticked now though, I was given twin sun roof's for the ole gal and hate to cut up the new liner I just put in....

Good Luck....BTW nice rig you got going here...

<font color=green>Eagle86K5[​IMG]

<font color=red>Only guy I know that can get out of line in a one car funeral

4. I would suggest that you spray the backing one way and the material the other way. As in left to right on one and up to down on the other. This will make it bond better. Trust me, the Burb has one hell of a huge headliner.

[​IMG]BigBurb[​IMG][​IMG]

5. Eagle86K5

Eagle86K5 1/2 ton status

Gee that is the biggest K5 I have ever seen. No wonder ya got to do it different. Must take days with a K5 that big. Bet ya even get an echo in there.....[​IMG]

6. OKAY, your first post says 3M spray and then you said brush or roll.. It does make a difference on the tensil strength of the glue. Mine didn't drop in the blistering TX heat for almost 2 years. My $.02

[​IMG]BigBurb[​IMG][​IMG]

7. Zack

Zack 1/2 ton status

8. Eagle86K5

Eagle86K5 1/2 ton status

Is that your feet I see sticking out from underneath?????

hehehehehehehehe

9. Zack

Zack 1/2 ton status

10. cityfarmer2

cityfarmer2 Guest

Zack I like it. My garage looks the same but with a CJ-5 torn down(off body restro) a couple of Harleys and a whole lot of Blazer parts but we save the glue for sniffin. Which by the way sounds like our to brothers have been doing alot of. Chill Dudes who knows one may need the other ones help some day to get out of a stuck situation. Big Burb you still selling your beauty. Gary...

11. kim tate

kim tate 1/2 ton status

Gary, I'm a Harley fanatic too. My favorite uncle owned a Harley dealership in McComb, MS, during the AMF days. I spent a lot of time in his shop. Developed a real passion for Shovelheads. Over the last 28 years I have owned 7 Shovels and 1 Evo. My current and probably last ride is the 1981 Shovel I built in the style of 1950s bobber. If you haven't found this web site: http://www.virtualbiker.net/forum.html, I sugest you give it a try. At times you'll find suggesstions from employees of S&S Cycles, Mr. Axtell himself, and many knowledgeable mechanics who post here. By the way, I also have a fondness for South Korea!

12. shaggyk5

shaggyk5 1/2 ton status

Big Burb i dont know if ive ever said this before or not, but that is the coolest damn burb that i have ever seen in my life.

shaggyk5

aint nuthin in the world like a heavy chevy!!

13. Really !! It's almost summer, should I get the chainsaw out and rip the top off of her? Maybe I'll three link her this summer !!

[​IMG]<font color=red>BigBurb[​IMG]
    <font color=purple>IF YOU'RE SCARED, SAY YOU'RE SCARED !!

14. **b**

**b** 1/2 ton status

iam scared [​IMG]

15. Crash90K5

Crash90K5 Registered Member

I would really like to see someone standing UNDERNEATH that... that... wholy sh!t that is one big truck! [​IMG]

[​IMG] <font color=blue>Crash90K5</font color=blue> [​IMG]

16. MICHIGAN BLAZER

MICHIGAN BLAZER 1/2 ton status

okay...not a glue question...but a cardboard question. Mine is shot...due to the previous owner idiot who installed a cell phone antennae on my roof w/o siliconing it...didn't know it leaked until i took the headliner out(oh yeah it kinda got ruined when i rolled...somehow a full quart bottle of power steering fluid lost it's cap in the rumble)...anyway i know what i'm gonna put up for fabric but don't know where to get that cardboardy stuff...anything else i could use...i thought about just spraying bedliner on the plain old metal roof too. OH yeah Big Burb...i'm definately FOR chopping your top....someday i want a FULL convertable 'burban...someday.

<font color=red>MICHIGAN BLAZER
    <font color=green>89 Fullsize Blazer
    87 Cherokee
    65 IH Scout

17. Eagle86K5

Eagle86K5 1/2 ton status

Actually you will find that most GM products use the same stuff. My 78 Olds 88 had the same problem and I repaired it the same way, except the area was larger and I had to spray the adhesive in ever growing circles. But the cardboard was a total mess , so I went to the local wrecking yard and found another, which is where you will find the same cardboard for yours. Now you might have to trim it a bit but you can get it out of almost any GM type vehicle.

18. kim tate

kim tate 1/2 ton status

Texas Truck

Without question, that truck of yours qualifies to wear a TEXAS plate. It sets the standard by which all other Suburbans should be measured. Texas is proud of you!!

19. Eagle86K5

Eagle86K5 1/2 ton status

I checked with the folks from 3M, Just in case I might have made an error, they have assured me that no intricate application process is neccessary in applying spray adhesive for hanging a cloth headliner. Although if you are putting up say...chain mail for that tank effect... you might have to look at the epoxy line of adhesives which does require a more advanced process. [​IMG]