Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

headliner sags like an 80 year olds (.) (.)

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by otisringle, Oct 13, 2006.

1. otisringle

otisringle 1/2 ton status

how do you fix them.

I was thinking about taking the fabric off then using spray on adhesive then putting the fabric back on.

Does this work?

2. kwissman

kwissman 1/2 ton status

Go to the fabric supply store and get some of the foam backed fabric that is about 1/4" thick. I took off the old one and used this with the adhesive and it looks fine. I just used black, since I could not match the existing color. Also, use sandpaper to remove any of the left over backing from the cardboard piece before gluing the new material.

3. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Not really.

You need to scrape all the old foam off the backer board AND the fabric, then the glue will actually adhere the fabric to the backer board, instead of the old foam that broke down causing the problem in the first place. :)

I'm not sure what the 3M adhesive that is typically used (77?) would do to the fabric itself, that is, assuming it's fabric and not the white vinyl stuff, which would be less of an issue than fabric.

4. SkysTheLimit

SkysTheLimit 1/2 ton status

go get some crushed velvet material, some fancy brass brads and some cotton batting. make it quilted pimp style. purple is a good color. :p:

the foam or cotton batting method (no quilting) will give you some more leeway with wrinkles as opposed to just laying the fabric back on the board directly.

5. otisringle

otisringle 1/2 ton status

thats a very good idea, but I'm going more towards a quick fix then making it new again.

I am going to put a gun rack up top and need a quike solution to the sag. I only have a few sags here and there.

You think using the spray on adhesive with the original fabric is good, or will it make it look bubbly or something. Never really worked with fabric n that sort, so I dont really know...

6. k204dr

k204dr 1/2 ton status

it'll look liike azz. the foam that holds it up is disentigrating. you can always use tacks to hold it up for now.

7. sandawgk5

sandawgk5 3/4 ton status

Mine did that so I pulled it and threw it away:D

Ira

8. gmc4cw

gmc4cw 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

thumbtacks, staples, tear it down. or get a new headliner. the first three will look bad, but they sure are cheap.

9. Rolled

Rolled 1/2 ton status

Be sure to use a spray contact glue and spray both sides and let them dry tacky. Then rolled on the fabric... Otherwise, it will fall again if you just spray it and install it...

10. cbbr

cbbr 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

Correct you are - Just get any material you want, scrape the backer board, spray both with 3M 77 adhesive and let it dry before reinstalling.

Like this -

[​IMG]

11. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

chep quick "fix"....

I used a few "blades" off an old venitian blind,painted silver,to hold up the sagging headliner in my El-Camino I had a few years back...never did get around to "fixing" it correctly!..I just stuffed the metal under the plastic trim along the sides--it never sagged again...didn't look to cheesy either,in fact,I thought it looked pretty good!..:crazy:

12. fireplug

fireplug 1/2 ton status

I like it! I had a vinyl headliner that was sagging on my '76. It peeled right off the cardboard cleanly and evenly. All I have now is the cardboard, and it looks good enough for me.

13. Drey

Drey 3/4 ton status

I pulled everything out, put my trim back on, and have a nice blue ceiling in my K10, I like it

14. gmcburb1965

gmcburb1965 clever user title

My fix

I had the same problem with the headliner. When you pull down the old make sure to get all the old foam off or the new won't stick. Go to an upholstery shop and ask for headliner material (foam-backed cloth). $15.00 worth will do your pickup. Use your old one for a pattern and glue it back on the board or straight to the roof of the truck. The 3M glue is pricey so go with the brand your upholstery shop uses, it's half the price and just as good.