Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

headliner

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by BigBadCad, Jul 30, 2002.

1. BigBadCad

BigBadCad 1/2 ton status

Alright, I've done a search and still need some advise. My headliner in the truck needs replacing. I've already removed the headliner, stipped off the old fabric, and purchased replacement foam backed fabric headliner material. I now need help selecting an adhesive to attach the fabric to the headliner. The headliner looks like compressed fiberglass insulation and soaked up the 3M super trim adhesive like a sponge. I also tried using floor tile adhesive in a corner with similar results...any advise?

2. wrathORC

wrathORC 1/2 ton status

3M used to make a "heavyweight" spray adhesive that was designed for use on underhood mats. I have had no success finding this adhesive in the last two weeks. It worked really good on anything I wanted to glue together including things I didn't and held up to heat very well.

Trim adhesive is too thin as you've found out. The kind you want comes out like a stringy gel and will tack up in a minute or two. 3M makes some "general" adhesive (not #77) that says you can use it on foam-backed material but I don't know how well it will hold up to heat that a headliner will get.

3. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

A post from the Monte List I've saved:

"3M spray adhesive should have done the trick (Aaron seems to agree). If the headliner fell, I would have to suspect poor preparation.

ALL of the old foam must be removed from the backer board. You should be able to eat off the backer board. I used a wire brush. This process takes considerable time as the foam is rotten and gummy. Duct tape must be applied to the topside of any cracked areas (usually around the visor mount and the coat hooks).

The adhesive is a contact type and must be applied to both the backer board and the headliner. Wait until the adhesive is dry (follow directions on the can) before trying to smooth the headliner onto the backer board.

I replaced the headliner in my Monte Carlo and my Wagon 2.5 years ago. They have not fallen yet.

If someone will come to your house, remove the old headliner, prep the backer board, replace the material, and replace the headliner for $75, go for it. I would not be able to make a living at that price."

Of all the posts I saved though, not one mentions the exact adhesive. That "77" rings a bell, but whatever 3M stuff it was, it came in 2 grades, and you want to use the heavy duty type.

4. BigBadCad

BigBadCad 1/2 ton status

I removed all of the foam from the backer board. As previously stated, the backer board is soaking up all the adhesive. I tested the spray adhesive on a scrap peice of wood prior to spaying the backerboard and the fabric stuck nicely.

5. 76chevy

76chevy 1/2 ton status

You could also try carpet / linoleum tile glue. Like you I used the 3m stuff and my headliner is fallin off. I am going to try the carpet / linoleum tile glue. I used to remove linoleum tiles and we had to use a small propane torch to heat them up before we could remove them. Even then it was still very difficult.

6. MilpitasK5

MilpitasK5 1/2 ton status

I don't have any information to offer but I need to do the same thing. /forums/images/icons/crazy.gif How much did all of this material cost you! I'm sure prices will different b/c I'm in Cali. but I'm looking for a ball park range.
    Sorry for buttin' in!

7. BigBadCad

BigBadCad 1/2 ton status

I found the headliner material while in a fabric store with my wife. It cost $10 a yard and I needed two yards for my crewcab. It looks as good as anything I've ever seen.

8. NE79

NE79 1/2 ton status

I just got some vinyl from the fabric store ( i think $3 per yard) and used 3m adhesive. Stuck up there for about a week, then fell. However, i had enough material wrapped up around that fiber board that it has stayed up for about 2 years. Flaps in the wind a little, but looks better than the one i took down!lol

9. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

well i just took mine out and left it out...i think it looks better to lol..

Bryan

10. Batchman

Batchman Registered Member

Is called 3M "Super" trim adhesive I found it at O'reily's auto parts about 13 to 15 bucks per can. You have to follow the directions as stated above and spray both sides it will only stick to itself. I would swear by this method if backerboard is clean and directions are followed. check out his link
    http://www.geocities.com/kevinshortell/Tech/headlinr/headlinr.html

11. BillyBob

BillyBob 1/2 ton status

I'm having the same problem with my headliner.. though I'm just using regular fabric (fuzzy cow print to be exact /forums/images/icons/cool.gif ). I cleaned off the cardboard peice, sprayed both the cardboard and the fabric with adhesive, stuck it on. It worked for a couple of days. but it fell about a week after. so I've just given up. I just like having it up there. Better to stare at a cow than an ugly peice of carboard. and everyone laughs when they see it /forums/images/icons/cool.gif