Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Headliner?

Discussion in '1936-Present Suburban' started by Moose, Aug 4, 2003.

1. Moose

Moose 1/2 ton status

My headliner is sagging has anybody fixed thers? If so how? Or should I just take it to a shop? /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/burb.gif

2. big pappa b

big pappa b 3/4 ton status

See if you can loosen a side close to where it's sagging and spray some spray adhesive where you need it.

3. 85burbanator

85burbanator 1/2 ton status

mine started saggin real bad but i just went and got some thumbtacks and taked it in place. it looks cool since it still sags in spots.

4. mirage

mirage Registered Member

I've tried spray adhesive...falls apart when it gets hot, as do a lot of other adhesives. I ended up using silicon (just cause it was around /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif, but word from Trucks (the TV show) is that contact cement is the stuff to use.

BTW: The silicon worked great, still looks good (or did when I sold it), but you have to get a nice even pattern or it will look goofy! :-)

5. bpiccioni

bpiccioni 1/2 ton status

Hey Damon

I'm in the same boat - my front headliner is sagging pretty bad - but it changes with the weather - worse when it's wet, not so bad when it's hot. I'm gonna experiment with some contact cement, but im gonnna take the whole thing out and lay it flat before I try to adhere the fabric back to the backing.

I think you can get replacements from LMC Truck - they have a free catalog sign up online. However, Im not gonna buy one until I get serious about replacing more stuff in the interior. Likewise, new weatherstripping isnt gonna be cheap, and thats first priority for me, along with killing the rest of the surface rust in the doorjambs before it gets worse (4/6 sanded and primered).

Ben

6. Ddragggon

Ddragggon 1/2 ton status

you can also get replacement headliner material from many automotive upholstery shops for little money. Tempe Sales ( tempe AZ) sells a 6 foot wide rolling yard of the stuff for $5/yard, in 5 or 6 basic neutral colors ( tan, brown, grey, black, royal blue, wine red, etc) they also have recomnedations for, and sell contact cements to use with it. as soon as I find a shop out here in CA, I'm planning to redo the roof in the yellow suburban, since it completely lacks headliner of any sorts, and as such, sucks with internal noise. at $5/yard, you can do the whole roof for about $20 plus cements, and if you need it, replacement trim pieces/backing boards.

I'll post pictures when I get around to it, ( and finish up that index I've been writing)

-Rich

7. Moose

Moose 1/2 ton status

Yea thats funny its my font too. And changes with the weather. I feal a factory recal is in order LOL. Let me know how it works out. I have been thinking of doing the same just don't have the time right now. Hopefully I will finish the roof rack tonight. /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/burb.gif

8. tom1987

tom1987 Registered Member

Both the my front and back headliners sag a lot, so when I redo them I'm going to get some 1/4 inch foam, and cut suburban out and place it under the material so I have a custom headliner. /forums/images/graemlins/burb.gif's rule

9. mirage

mirage Registered Member

We'll have to see pics of that roof rack when completed! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

10. Moose

Moose 1/2 ton status

No problem on the roof rack. Still not complete but close. I will try and get some pics of it tonight. /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/burb.gif

11. 88sub4x4

88sub4x4 1/2 ton status

I took the lazy way out and had mine done. It cost 75 for both sections, so I think it was worth it. I did my dodge shadow myself. I removed the headliner and stripped all the old foam off. Then I used 3M headliner adhesive and attached a 1/8 thick foam to the headliner, and then I picked up some fabric from the fabric store that matched my interior and used the 3M stuff and attached that to the foam. It has held up for almost 2 years with no seperations/sagging yet.

12. bpiccioni

bpiccioni 1/2 ton status

I dunno about you, but when the sun first hits the roof on my burb and starts heating things up, I can actually hear the headliner start to creak! When I first heard it, while pulling out of my driveway into the sun, I was sure that something was on top of my roof and pulled over to investigate, but never found anything.

I've since gotten used to the creaking, but would sure like to have a nice, tight headliner. I'd drop $75 REALLY QUICK if I was sure I could have both the front and rear done by a professional.

I might even supply em some beer in exchange for some of their trade secrets, or at least some basic upholstery lessons! I have a buddy who wound up with a really good cable package at the base rate just for parting with a 6-pack of some leftover beer that someone had left at his place and he had no intention of drinking!

13. Moose

Moose 1/2 ton status

Just got off the phone with Ray at Bell Rd Auto Upholstery and he said he could do the front for $110.00. Now I just have to decide if I want to try it myself or leave it to a professional /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/burb.gif

14. KShortell

KShortell Registered Member

Here's how I did mine: 1986 Suburban Headliner Replacement

It's not super hard and the headliner fabric can be had at fabric stores such as JoAnn Fabrics or Hancock Fabrics. Be sure to use 3M SUPER Trim Adhesive, not the regular adhesive and you'll be fine...

Good luck!
    Kevin

/forums/images/graemlins/burb.gif
    /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif

15. bpiccioni

bpiccioni 1/2 ton status

Kevin

It looks like you did a pretty good job. I wonder what you spent on fabric and adhesive. Also, I wonder if you notice any more sound than before - it seems like you removed the old foam but didnt add new when you applied the fabric.

Ben

16. Moose

Moose 1/2 ton status

Looks awsome. Any idea on cost? Hows it holding up so far? /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/burb.gif

17. KShortell

KShortell Registered Member

The fabric is foam-backed. It's the foam breaking down that causes the headliner to sag. The foam on the topside of the headliner board (towards the roof) was going as well. I replaced it with some 1/2" foam from JoAnn Fabrics. Headliner fabric is usually around $11.50 a yard at JoAnn. I bought mine at Hancock Fabrics in Alexandria, VA for around $7.50 a yard (on sale). I bought 5 yards, but around 4.5 yards should do ya...

I went through a couple of cans of adhesive. I don't remember-- $7-8 a can?

I probably spent around $90 total, but it's quieter than ever... /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

Kevin

18. Moose

Moose 1/2 ton status

Good deal. Thanks. I will try mine in the next few weeks /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/burb.gif