Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Headliners

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Batchman, Apr 21, 2002.

1. Batchman

Batchman Registered Member

I'm re-doing my headliner myself 86 burb. I went to Hancock fabric and they have both the vinyl and the fabric with the foam backing does anyone have any pros and cons to either I don't want to re-do it anytime soon thanks.

2. Michael

Michael 1/2 ton status

I like the looks of fabric better...guess it depends on how much "gunk" you get on the headliner...vinyl would be easier to wipe own.

3. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Use the strongest upholstery glue you can find or it will sag on you. Usually you need to go to an upholstery supply house to get the good glue.

4. chris672

chris672 1/2 ton status

What he said. I did mine and it looked great for a few days and then it started to sag. Mine had a piece to cardboard that you glue the fabric to, make sure you clean this really good before glueing new fabric on.

5. Batchman

I got the super heavy duty adhieves ( that is wht it said) Did yours sag with vinyl or fabric?, and were you able to fix it?

6. dduckblazer

dduckblazer Registered Member

post it when your done and what you used

7. chris672

chris672 1/2 ton status

I used fabric and just spray adhesive. I cant remember if it said heavy duty or anything. I didnt want to pull off all of the plastic parts again so I bought some buttons that have a cork screw on them and I just screwed a few of those into the cardboard to hold it up. It looks good, it just has a few tiny blue buttons on it. I got the buttons at a fabric store.

8. JK5

JK5 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

I`ve installed many headliners....for a living....Don`t use anything other than vinyl top glue. Trim adhesives soften when they get HOT, that is why people have sagging headliners.

9. Batchman

where do you get that glue and is it spray or brush. The spray can I have says for vinyl tops?