Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

headlite upgrade for my 91'' ?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by big d, Nov 13, 2005.

1. big d

big d 1/2 ton status

was wondering if its possible to change the headlite configeration in my 91 blazer ? :confused: i have the little h4701 and h4703 style headlite with the even smaller prongs to plug- in with. i dont much like the headlite plug-in pigtails either. was wondering if its possible to convert to the 88'-up halo/projector style if i find a donar vehicle in the yard ? its a little more difficult to find the these smaller bulbs to cuz wal-mart doesnt carry them any more ? auto zone carries them but not halogen. ebay doesnt have the h4 upgrades for my style that i can find. :doah: any help is great. thanks in advance. :bow: :D :laugh:

2. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

I have the same problem with my '90 Suburban. I now have a set of Hella FF50's that come on with the high beams. I can see again! :eek1:

BTW, Autozone can get you new headlamp sockets. Part number 85896 for the low beam and 85897 for the high beam. They're $5.39 each. :cool1:

3. SARGE

SARGE Registered Member

Headlight Upgrade

I know you can put the newer headlight in the stock location with a little modification. I've seen it done on some trucks before and it looks a lot better! The light that you want to run probably won't be found in a "yard" though. I just saw them on E Bay for sale. I just ordered a set of the clear stock replacements for my '89. You'll have to cut your radiator support to fit the light then drill the holes to mount it. You could even then run HID's!
    Then just wire them into your exising wiring, you will probably have to run a few relays. I hope this helped a bit! good luck!

Chris

4. big d

big d 1/2 ton status

can ya link me to the ones that bought ? u can do this thru p.m. if u wish. thanks. :bow:

5. big d

big d 1/2 ton status

ttt1 :D

6. Diesel Dan

Diesel Dan 1/2 ton status

A more extreme option would be to replace the core support and use the standard single headlight. I had a '88 crewcab with base trim and a '91 sub with quad lights. The crew with single halogens had some of the best illumination of any car I'd owned, way better than the duals on the '91.

7. neverendingproject

neverendingproject 1/2 ton status

if you retrofit the 87-98 style lights into the blazer, doesnt it look funky because of the different angle? ( the nose of the older trucks being flatter and the newer ones being more cone shapep)

8. Shawn

Shawn 1/2 ton status Premium Member Author

9. Robert D

Robert D 1/2 ton status

I will have to double-check, but I don't remember seeing dual lights like those on my 91. It is an SLX and the only option is A/C...maybe my stripped down model has only the H4s?

10. 4xcrazy

4xcrazy 3/4 ton status

are you talking about this headlight setup/style?

[​IMG]

if so,,,these bulbs are nothing BUT halogen,,,look at them closely,,,seperate bulbs inside the glass housing.... :waytogo:

i don't remember the numbers right off, thats why i posted up the pic :p:

11. big d

big d 1/2 ton status

mine are the solid old style bulbs with the plug-ins in the back ? dunno

12. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

painless dual headlight wiring setup or learn the wiring and make one yourself? Not sure if they sell that setup for the 88-91 trucks but I mean the one that makes all 4 headlights come on at once.

13. 4xcrazy

4xcrazy 3/4 ton status

the composite, "one piece housings?"

14. 4xcrazy

4xcrazy 3/4 ton status

anymore now days, all you will see are Halogen bulbs,,,the only i have seen that aren't, are the older large round headlights,,,,

15. big d

big d 1/2 ton status

yes, solid one piece bulbs. i dont like the small prongs in back at all.

16. 4xcrazy

4xcrazy 3/4 ton status

now you're confusing me,,,the composite units are the ones where you replace the bulb from the rear, the regular glass bulbs are like the ones in my picture, or the bigger 5" rectangular ones,,,,,

guess i'll have to look up the part number to see what you have

17. 4xcrazy

4xcrazy 3/4 ton status

you have a quad headlight setup,,,right,,,it should be the same as the picture i posted up

18. big d

big d 1/2 ton status

ya , i gotta replace the whole bulb on this rig. id love to convert to the euro h4 upgrade where u can replace the bulb from the back, i had a set of the h4 upgrades (round) for my 79', but the rubber that held the h4 bulb in place started to dry rot only after a few months ? :confused: :crazy: :mad: i got em off ebay, wonder if there is a better set up than that ? any ways, thanks to all for the comments and ideas so far. :bow:

19. big d

big d 1/2 ton status

yes, exactly the same.

20. 4xcrazy

4xcrazy 3/4 ton status

then no,,, i have yet to see a conversion kit for this style of headlight,,,think it was because there really wasn't very many vehicles made with this style.

the only other vehicle so far i have seen them on, other than the Blazer, some early 90's Chevy pick-ups and Burbs, are a few older early 90's Jeep Cherokees or something.

i did the little relay wiring trick to get all 4 to light up with the high beams,,,makes a world a difference.

and yes, they are all Halogens.