Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Heads and chip from a tbi capriec beter than stock burb heads and chip?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by y5mgisi, May 10, 2004.

1. y5mgisi

y5mgisi 1 ton status

I am about to do a rebuild of the tbi 350 in my burb and was thinking that a set of heads of a TBI chevy capries(sp? cop car) would be better than the ones i had now. Also was wandering if they had anything else inerchangable that i would be better off with like the chip or throtle body or any other sensors. Any info, feedback, or experence would be great.

/forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif

2. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

GM heads generally suck, but any TBI head sucks equally, it isn't going to make any significant difference.

3. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

The cop cars weren't too terribly fast after the 60's , mostly they were heavy duty for endurance. The heads flow very like each other, one is an engine pulling a heavy truck, the other pulling a heavy car. Even the later cop cars were not very fast many had small blocks smaller than 305 in the 90's /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

4. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

ONLY thing special about the cop cars is they have slightly better injectors, thats it. Besides that they are the same damn thing, and they suck equally as much. Well I shouldn't say that, the TBI Caprice motors had a roller camshaft, but you can't just pull that out and put it in your burb.

5. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Iron L98 heads would be a step in the right direction, but it's been awhile since I've compared their numbers to Vortec-style heads.

For emissions legality and what not, I imagine the L98 would be the closest thing to the TBI heads. Should have the exhaust crossover, (EGR) flow good, and have better (64CC and redesigned combustion) chambers as well.

Don't quote me on the redesigned combustion chamber, but I'm under the impression they were early "fast-burn" chambers, just like the later Vortecs.

6. y5mgisi

y5mgisi 1 ton status

To do the L89 heads, Could i exchane them for my current heads when i go to the motor shop? just say that i took these heads off(whatever car the L89 heads came off of) and say i want to get them and use my heads as the cores? After about 200,000 miles on the all stock 350 its feeling its age.

Mabey i'm asking the wrong question. I just want a couple simple little things that i can do to squeez out a little extra power and efficency than what i currently have(stock 90 sub w/ 350tbi) when i do go and do the motor rebuild here in a month or two. So i was thinking an adjustable FPR to jump up my fuel pressre to about 13psi, I think that this will cure the problem i have where it feels like i have more power as i let off WOT. So i figrured if im geting a set of heads anyway, i might as well ask for some better castings but that will still bolt up and run correctly with my stock TBI. I dont want to get to indepth with it right now as this will be a "budget" rebuild(i'll have about $1,200 to work with). Im hoping this will last me a few(5ish) years till i have the money to get wild with it and do all my TPI stuff. Ok thats about all i better go on cause now it sounds like im just rambling. /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

7. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Machine shop might take your casting, really not sure. Like I implied before, I have little experience with the L98's, only what I've read. No idea how in-demand the heads are...if they are in demand, I imagine a swap of yours as cores, might not work.

Wouldn't hurt to ask or do some research on these heads in the first place, make sure they are indeed an improvement over yours. (I'm sure they are, but do some research) Nothing worse than thinking you are getting what you want, and finding something better, later.

For an "easy" swap, you will need heads (whatever you end up using) with the same intake bolt pattern, and the exhuast crossover. That way, everything you have will bolt up with no problem.