Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

heads

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by chevy1982, Oct 9, 2002.

1. chevy1982

chevy1982 Registered Member

this really has nothing to do with 4 wheeling but i have used this site for post and have found it extremely helpfull, but anyways i wanted to know what you all think that the best non-aluminuim heads would be be for a small block manufactured by chevorlet i am building a stock car to compete in a small series around me and the rules are very strict if anyone has any ideas or thoughts please post.here is a link to the rules. Rule Book

2. zakk

zakk 1/2 ton status

the 62cc maximum comubustion chamber MUST be a type-o. there are no 62cc STOCK no vortec/non-aluminum heads Chevy made IIRC.

They MUST mean no more than 72cc.

The best ever chevy heads (non-vortec, non-aluminum) are the 292 heads, or Double Humps. 64cc Combustion chambers, good flow charecteristics (sp? damn i need speel check /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif )

Of the very availbile "smog" heads, the 772's are not bad. flow pretty good, VERY common, 76cc combustion chamber.

but not sure how you will get around the head rule.

dunno...i would want to see a hardcopy of the rules.

All this is to my best knowledge, if i am worng please correct the information.

3. zakk

zakk 1/2 ton status

and do us a favor, fill out your Profile so that we know what kind of Junk we are helping ya with! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

4. Blazer1970

Blazer1970 1/2 ton status

They must mean 62cc minimum.

5. GMslave

GMslave 1/2 ton status

Go get your self some heads off an early 90's TBI Chevy truck. They're damn near the same as Vortec heads, then you can have them redrilled for the old style manifold. According to their rules, this is (almost)legal.

6. chevyracing

chevyracing 1/2 ton status

305 heads maybe?

7. chevyracing

chevyracing 1/2 ton status

Here is the copy for those that can't load the link. They are tight, that's for sure!!!!!!!

Cylinder Heads:

1. Cylinder heads must be standard production. No aluminum, no Boss, Bowtie, W-2 Chrysler, or Hi-Performance heads allowed. No Vortex heads.
    2. No angle plug GM heads allowed.
    3. No angle milling of head allowed.
    4. Maximum combustion chamber for all engines is 62 CCs.
    5. Maximum valve sizes for 305-302-318 engines:

Intake 1.780
    Exhaust 1.500

Maximum valve sizes for 350-351-360 engines:

Intake 2.020
    Exhaust 1.625

6. Single or Double valve springs allowed with dampener.
    7. No porting, polishing, grinding, or otherwise modifying of heads permitted.
    8. Area under valves must maintain factory configuration. Three angle valve jobs will be permitted.
    9. Stainless Steel valves allowed. NO TITANIUM or modified valves permitted.
    10. Screw in Studs and guide plates allowed

8. chevy1982

yeah they do mean 62 for the minimum but thanks yall

9. chevy1982

I think i could get away with these
    Heads

10. leadfoot067

leadfoot067 1/2 ton status

ok well i race around in circles also /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif ive had very good luck with 305 ho heads...casting 601 or 416..58cc 182 intake 150 exaust valves.....this head with a flat top makes great compression...some things to remember though when runninng the small heads....dont over carb it and done over cam it....they seem to make good power up to around 6000 but past that they really drop off....so gear the car accordingly..and cam it for the gears and you will be fast....we run a 1/4 mile asphalt here....turn the motor about 5700-6000..and use no bigger than a 280 duration cam solid lifters....and we have to run cast intake and exaust....ive had the best power with a 600 vacume holley with the softest secondary spring....on that engine combo....hope this helps

shane

11. Blazer1970

Blazer1970 1/2 ton status

Yup, I think those 492s would be the best head that meets your rules. 305 heads would be OK, but they have small valves, and I think some of them have like 58cc chambers.

12. chulisohombre

chulisohombre 1/2 ton status

that head look like what you are looking for.i have 76 corvette heads on my truck so it has the 2.02 inch intake valve.i think this is too much for a truck because it now has good top end but less low end torque.but i dont think this truck will ever pull more than a 20 second quarter miile /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gifand i dont really get much over 3000 rpm to really let the 2.02's really do what they were intended to do.

13. chevy1982

the model carb we have to use is the holley 2300 model 7448 350 cfm and the max cam lift is 507. The people who already run this division run a 5.80-6.00 gears.