Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Health insurance for the self employed.

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by CK5, Dec 12, 2006.

1. CK5

CK5 In my underwear Administrator Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

Anyone that is self employed who do you have for health insurance or who do you recommend?

2. 79k20350

79k20350 3/4 ton status

No possibility of being covered under your wifes plan? Kinda sucks if you cant. Ive looked into healthcar a few times and it aint real cheap:crazy:

3. 4by4bygod

4by4bygod 1/2 ton status

I am with american community mutual.. you can contact them direct. lot's of great plan choices, no issues with payments, either.

Also, my wife has one of those cool health savings plans from a company I can;t recall, I will post it when I find it..

stay away from anything like a small business consortium that says they can get great insurance rates for member businesses. .. you'll spend more in joining the association than you'll save in Premiums.

Tom

4. thezentree

thezentree 3/4 ton status

My parents use Blue Cross/Blue Shield, and while I don't know anything about the rates, the coverage is awesome.

5. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

Don't get or use any plan for a business use. Just get something to cover yourself.

I'm with American Family. They are using some company, can't remember name, and I pay monthly of $118 which is the normal 80/20 and $2K deductible. Prescriptions are paid for (!) and no co-pays.

6. thezentree

thezentree 3/4 ton status

7. 4by4bygod

4by4bygod 1/2 ton status

HSA Provider

American Republic.. that's the company we got my wife's HSA plan from.. call 'em direct, they have an army of independent agents running around..

Are you familiar at all with how they work?

what you do is pay a monthly premium for your insurance, but in this case, you'll also have a savings account ( set up at a local bank through your HSA provider ) where you can bank money, and use this cash to pay any deductibles or co - pays.

The cool thing is, being self employed, you can write off your premium payments ( not sure if it's 80% or 100% yet) and, you can write off the amount of money you have saved in the HSA account. ( up to 2500.00 per year).

Also, unlike a Medical Savings Account you aren't obligated to spend all of your HSA acount money.. if you never get sick, and the money just accumulates, just leave it in there, and write it all off again next year..

In my wife's situation, her former insurer was medical mutual.. going to the HSA cut her premium in half, so the other half she was spending goes into the HSA, so money to cover deductibles is always there. if she has a slow month at the car wash, she's not obligated to put anything in the HSA, so it's not like it's a constant drain. during the slow months, she enjoys paying half of what she used to.

The only reason I haven't gone to an hsa myself is because I'm vested in my dental paln with American Community, where they pay 50% of everything, and I'm not through having work done yet.. I didn't want to change horses midstream and start over again..

Anyway, they have individual hsa's, family hsa's, and corporate hsa's..

damn that president bush.. he never does anything to help the little guy get affordable health care.. :D

Tom

8. CK5

CK5 In my underwear Administrator Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

Thaks for the info guys

9. PhoenixZorn

PhoenixZorn 1/2 ton status

We had Blue Cross Blue Shield until recently... I let the policy lapse because well... I didn't have any money to pay it... and they wouldn't reinstate the policy because I had an "existing condition" which is total bull**** because I was diagnosed with said condition while I had their insurance... Anyway, we dropped them like a bad habit instead of fighting about it, and now we have WPS Insurance (which is a Wisconsin only insurance) so I have nothing useful to add to the conversation.

10. Confedneck79K30

Confedneck79K30 3/4 ton status

steve, im self employed and my wife is not employed, i have bcbs for her, it costs about 185 a month, but i still have to pay 50% of whatever the bills are... its kinda pricey but it was easy to get..

11. 79k20350

79k20350 3/4 ton status

So You had nothing useful to add but posted anyways? Wouldnt that be a pad?:rolleyes::crazy:

12. 79k20350

79k20350 3/4 ton status

Much like that last post i just made?:doah::haha::haha:

(this one too i guess):p:

13. Confedneck79K30

Confedneck79K30 3/4 ton status