Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Heat after 1.5hrs?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by stockk5, Jan 28, 2005.

1. stockk5

stockk5 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Alright, as many of you know the northeast and everywhere has been FREAKIN COLD, my truck has basically NO heat at all. It takes about and hour and half for it to make the heat actually come out of the heater. I was talking about it with my dad and he said i might have a 180 thermostate, so if i got a new one it would help it out a lot. Could this be true? or is my heater itself just dead?

2. big83chevy4x4

big83chevy4x4 3/4 ton status

i have a 180 tstat in my truck (thought it was a 195 till i pulled it) and would always warm up fast.

my dads blazer does the same thing as you say, takes for ever for it to blow heat. in the summer its hot quickly. first we thought someone put a 165 tstat in it, but we also thought that maybe someone put the tstat in upside down.

we didn't pull it out yet to see so i don't know.

3. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

check to see if there is a stat at all in it, if not then it wil never heat, or if its stuck open

if it were stuck shut then engine would get very hot and well thats not the problme you have

also try covering half of radiator with cardboard

remove fan shroud assembly

but first make sure both heater hoses get warm, same temp

etc

4. RustyMule

RustyMule Registered Member

I used to hate that when I lived in Mass. It wouldn't take an hour and a half though. My truck had a 180 therm, a 4 core radiator and a cheap a$$ flex fan. It would take at least a half hour to get warm. Obviously check the coolant level, try a 195 therm or ,hell, just get a block heater and plug 'r in at night.:D

5. Fierospeeder

Fierospeeder Banned

the 180 should give you heat just as well, if it is working correctly.

Start your truck up and pop the hood. Squeeze the upper radiator hose and there should be very little fluid in it. (watch your fan, if you have a clutch type)

you should feel the top hose get harder and hotter after a while.

Also, check the hoses that go to your heater core. Usually 5/8" in size. See if both of them are hot.

6. tomseviltwin

tomseviltwin 1/2 ton status

Put some coolant in that dog!!

7. 3 on the tree

3 on the tree 1/2 ton status

You could have a clogged up heater core. My Cherokee had no heat unless I revved the hell ouut of it. I took it to a friend's radiator shop to back flush the heater core. We hooked up water and air to it, turned everything on and waited about 5 minutes, then a giant loogie shot out of the heater core!!! I now have heat even at -20, life is good. If your heater core is clogged, with the temp control on hot, one heater hose will be alot hotter than the other one. Hope this helps.

8. cbbr

cbbr 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

At 1 1/2 hours of run time to make heat, I calculate that you are getting about 5 degrees per gallon.

I had an S-10 blazer that was slooow to heat up. The radiator needed a flush and the t-stat was AWOL. The PO took it out. You really only need one in La. about 30 days a year in a cold year so its not uncommon to just take them out if they go bad. A new t-stat and a flush fixed my problem.

9. jones

jones 1/2 ton status

how long have you had this problem?i had the same story awhile back.tried everything short of cardboard over the radiator(was the next step until a mechanic said that's cracked advise cuz it'll hurt the enginge,but it worked well for diesels)check the routing of your heater hoses.firewall to radiator/firewall to waterpump=no heat.firewall to manifold/firewall to waterpump=tons of heat w/180t-stat.good luck!