Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Heat controls ??

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by shane74, Jan 4, 2005.

1. shane74

shane74 1/2 ton status

In my burb ('87 w/ AC) I get the majority of the air blowing right out the front vents even when I the selector is on "Heat" or "Defrost". The good news is that when I switch from the two, one shuts off and the other opens up, but the vents are always blowing. This leads me to think that the vaccum tubes are working properly, and that the damper mechanism is messed up and/or jammed. Since my heater only blows hot when my foot is on the gas I'll be in there replacing the heater core tonight (I already replaced the t-stat). Any ideas on this before I go tearing into it?

Also, it has rear heat, but the PO removed the core for it. I'll be replacing that while I'm at it. Any watch outs there?

Thanks.

2. mechted

mechted 1 ton status Premium Member

i believe theres a plastic clip where the line hooks up to the flapper valve, it tends to break, which i would assume would cause the flapper to not fully close, and allow air to go where it isnt suppose to...so inspect that while you in there.

3. shane74

shane74 1/2 ton status

I found what is wrong. It's the little plastic clip thing on the flapper that's broken. I'll pick up a new one from the dealer tomorrow. Prolly gonna cost me WAY more than it's really worth, but I really need to have my defrost working right now.