Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

heat magnet ?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 79mudder, Jan 29, 2007.

1. 79mudder

79mudder Registered Member

i got a heat magnet and need to know where to place it on my truck its 3 by 5inches.120v 60hz 200w i pluged it in and man it gets hot. i already got a inline heater on my lower radiator hose but it seems to not help very much.how long should i plug the magnet in before i start it?

2. readymix

readymix 3/4 ton status

Do you mean like a block heater?

If so, try the bottom of the oil pan

3. 79mudder

yeah how long should i put it on before starting?

4. readymix

readymix 3/4 ton status

Depends on how cold it is outside, and how well the heater conducts into the oil.

5. chevy wrangler

chevy wrangler 1/2 ton status

wow!! where can i get one of these??

6. BKinzey

BKinzey 1/2 ton status

I would think somewhere on the block would be a better place:confused: On the pan would heat the oil sure but would do next to nothing in keeping the block warm.

If you have a heater on the lower hose I would look for a place on the opposite rear side of the block. Although sliding under your truck every morning could be a hassle.

I've got no idea on how long. Certainly it depends on how cold the engine gets.

7. 79mudder

its been like 7 degrees and supposed to stay in the single didgets all week

8. SLOK5

SLOK5 1/2 ton status

I thought a heat magnet was a wooden clothes pin you put on your fuel line.....:D

9. merace19

merace19 1/2 ton status

You want it on the oil pan. It will not do much to heat the antifreeze in the block. You want the oil warm when you fire up. Oil turns almost solid at super cold temps. You can break engine parts with oil like that. As long as there is no ice in the coolant system it does not matter how cold it is other than taking long time to get heat out of the heater. Ideally you want a block heater and a oil heater.

10. 70jimmy

70jimmy 3/4 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Released from Pueblo, told I belong in Southpark
    I have a little one that is about 2 inches by 4 inches and I put it on the bottom of the oil pan. The cord is like 4 inches long.

When I used the jimmy as a DD in cold weather as soon as I woke up I would go and plug it in, then like an hour later the truck turned over better when I went to work.

In the winter I would just leave the magnet on and plug it in or un plug it. It never fell off. At worst it might move like an inch or so.

11. Ned Kelly

Ned Kelly 1/2 ton status Premium Member

You should also consider using synthetic oil. It stays pour-able, or liquidy, in cold temperatures. Dino oil will get thick like molasses and synthetic will still pour freely. Synthetic makes for easier starting and better lubrication in cold weather. Put a oil pan magnet on with synthetic and the oil in the pan will be very 'pourable'. Look here:
    http://www.vwtrendsweb.com/tech/0304vwt_synthetic_oils/index.html

Also consider a battery warmer for cold climates. Cold really affects battery output. Battery output vs temp (check the graph a few inches down):
    http://www.speedace.info/car_batteries.htm

One type of battery warmer:
    http://www.padheaters.com/battery_heater.html
    This type is not as common as the blanket style.

Another style, known as battery blanket:
    http://www.jcwhitney.com/autoparts/Product/tf-Browse/s-10101/Pr-p_Product.CATENTRY_ID:2006128/p-2006128/N-111+10201+600000917/c-10101
    Available at most auto parts stores.

Block heaters are very good. A bit of a hassle to install (because you must drain the coolant from your block) but work very well. Basically you remove one engine frost plug, and replace it with a frost plug that has a heater element on it. A small extension cord plugs into the frost plug, and you plug this into any normal outdoor household outlet. These block heaters last many years, and usually do not leak. They are just as sturdy and keep a tight seal just like an OEM frost plug. Many cars/trucks in colder climates come with factory installed block heaters of this style.
    Note: Frost plug access is usually ALOT easier in a truck than a car, especially on a roomy engine bay like a K5.

Oh yeah, get the larger engine magnet heater. It will do a better job of heating the oil. The magnet is quite strong and should not fall off under normal driving. If going offroading I would take it off and remount it later.

12. 79mudder

70jimmy that is exactly what i got . i ll put it on the oil pan . thanks for the info guys.