Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Heat related problem, but not OVER heating

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by MaxCrack, Sep 18, 2003.

1. MaxCrack

MaxCrack 1/2 ton status

OK, what the hell is going on now? OK short history...Water pump died. Replaced water pump (with Kragen special so I could finish the weekend). Carb started spewing fuel through the accelerator pump. Rebuilt the Carb. Now it idles much higher than before. Temp gauge was not working. Installed brand new AutoMeter Temp gauge and sending unit. Installed new high flow Edelbrock Aluminum water pump to replace Kragen special. Installed high flow 180 thermostat from Mr. Gasket.

Now, here's the problem, In 105 degree weather the water temperature did not get over 195 degrees. But at that temperature, I could not accelerate or go up the slightest incline with out the motor totally sputtering, losing power, backfiring, and generally pissing me off. If, I pushed in the clutch and revved her up good a couple times, she would work fine for a minute or two before acting up again. /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

2. rcpilot

rcpilot 1/2 ton status

Did ya check the timing?? Also you might be running a tad rich.. after I rebuilt my carb and replaced fuel pump I had to re-tune my carb.. It was also ideling (sp) high.. it ran fine until I put a load on it/accelarated.. /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

3. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Sounds like your timing is not set correctly or your carb is still messed up.

4. MaxCrack

MaxCrack 1/2 ton status

OK, I kinda had a feeling it might be the carb. What do I do to retune it? Or how much would it cost to have some one do it. I'm kinda sick of workin' on it and not getting any better after all the problems from the last trip. All of that above happened over three days. Then I broke a Dana 70 axle shaft a week later.

5. mudjunkie 82

mudjunkie 82 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

sounds like it is running real rich.thats why your temp is low