Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Heat soak starter

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 84mudmachine, Sep 22, 2004.

1. 84mudmachine

84mudmachine 1/2 ton status

I have been having a heat soak issue with my starter. I ordered a ThermoTec heat shield from Summit, and I would like to know if anyone else has used this. /forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif

2. sean'schevy

sean'schevy 1/2 ton status

WOW good timing just had this problem today i have a set of hooker header on my big block and a power masters mini starter witch seems to help not as close to headers. but i really dont want to mess this starter up cost alot and had nothing but prob withs other starters ive used. and yes i even put a brand new flyweel in. Im thinking header wrap shield a good idea too they make those for mini starters.

3. big83chevy4x4

big83chevy4x4 3/4 ton status

have either of tried putting a remote solenoid on it?

4. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

I used to have a blanket on mine a long time ago but I lost it and I haven't had a heat soaked starter in a long time. Fortunately running #2 cables eliminated this problem.

5. Ryan B.

Ryan B. 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

[ QUOTE ]
    I used to have a blanket on mine a long time ago but I lost it and I haven't had a heat soaked starter in a long time. Fortunately running #2 cables eliminated this problem.

[/ QUOTE ]
    If your cables fixed it, then you were getting heat soak and too much resistence in your battery cables, not the starter selenoid.

6. 84mudmachine

I put a remote on a few months ago, but it didn't help at all. If this cover doesn't help, I will try the #2 cable. /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

7. 84mudmachine

I put on the wrap, but it seems to still have some problems. I think maybe the starter is old and not in very good shape. The wrap does work well, the wrap itself stays nice and cool. What do you guys think?

8. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
    If your cables fixed it, then you were getting heat soak and too much resistence in your battery cables, not the starter selenoid.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't know what fixed it to be honest with you. I bought the cables two years after the last instance of heat soak.

9. backcountry

backcountry 1/2 ton status

10. madmike

madmike 1/2 ton status

I tried using the blanket, but the starter must've already suffered some heat soak damage, therefore the blanket didn't help. I run a 489 bbc with headers, and for me, I solved the problem with a new hi torque mini starter, which I wrapped up in the blanket. No heat problems now!

11. southernspeed

southernspeed 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

I've had that problem on all of my K5s and a remote solonoid fixed it in every case. I used the Summit kit. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif