Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Heat Soak

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Anglewood, Mar 4, 2000.

1. Anglewood

Anglewood Registered Member

I was wondering if anybody had any Ideas on how to combat heat soak, I already put on a Moroso Stainless Steel Heat Shield, and it did help, but I still have problems when I stop after long drives, like at a gas station, I have to let it cool down for fifteen minutes before the engine will turn over enough to start. Does anybody have any solutions short of buying a ford starter with a remote selinoid? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Anglewood
    '78 K5 Cheyenne

2. Jason73K5

Jason73K5 1/2 ton status

The single best thing I did to combat heat soak wast to get Summits solenoid relocation kit, it's cheap and easy to install. Another good way to go is to get a hi-torque mini-starter as this will give more clearance between the starter and exhaust. Even with the solenoid relocation kit, I've found that parts-store starters don't usually last for more than a year, the genuine GM starters are the best stock style.

3. Jamie

Jamie Registered Member

Never had that problem. Sounds like your timming is out of wack. I'd check the base timming and the vaccume and centrifigal advance. Also make sure your fuel lines are Know where near anything hot (valve covers,intake and exhaust manifolds) That could overheat the fuel and cause a vapor lock situation. Hope this helps.

4. Blazerbob

Blazerbob 1/2 ton status

The same thing happened to me. I put the 180 degree thermostat in for the winter then when it was hot the starter would not engage. I put a 160 back in and with the cool temps here in the rust belt it starts again when warm because it never really heats above 170. The only problem is now the starter is grinding a bit and doesn't seem to be engaging correctly. Hope it didn't chip a gear tooth off the new flywheel. Can't wait to see what happens this summer.

Blazerbob<font color=blue>[​IMG]

5. Cmoe

Cmoe 1/2 ton status

You may want to try some Heat rap around your exhaust manifold/header if you haven't yet. Also try to drop the temp inside the engine compartment, CHeck your Fan that it's works good and make sure that you don't have a lot of grease/oil built up around the lower part of the engine.

<font color=red>C<font color=green>'<font color=blue>m<font color=orange>o<font color=purple>e

<font color=black>the blazer is "Back in Black"

6. Todd78/87

Todd78/87 1/2 ton status

Jamie,,, it's a pretty common problem with headers to heat soak the started. Mine did it when I just changed motors and was cranking on it a lot,,, once it got hot, it would not start for a while. I have the Summit remote unit,, just have not put it on yet. Heat wrap on the starter, headers, or the remote unit are about the only way to solve the problem.

Todd 78/87[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

7. Zack

Zack 1/2 ton status

Here's what I did when I could actually drive my truck...
    When my starter went out before I installed the new one I put some of that heat wrap cloth on my new starter (my brother wrapped his headers with it and had some left) it seemed to start everytime before I put the new body on..

Zack Carlson

No I am still not done with my frame up resto!! Soon i swear!

8. White Knight

White Knight 1/2 ton status

Had same problem when I first got my Blazer, then I changed out the old starter and threw the thermostat in the trash and I'll be damned no more problems and the motor runs cool also, this'll open a can "o" worms again on the board, but it works for me....WK