Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Heat stroke, caused by your's truly

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by mountainexplorer, Apr 18, 2005.

1. mountainexplorer

mountainexplorer 1/2 ton status

Well, made a mistake last friday. Last week and this week I'm back substituting as maintainance supervisor at NWC elementary school.

This morning, the west end of one of main buildings was so hot that it probably would have spontaneousely combusted had it got any hotter. I cranked open the valves in the boiler room last Friday cause it was too cold, and when I left early Friday, I didn't shut the valve for the west wing all the way.

The teachers and I all had to scramble to open up doors and windows and cool the place down before the kids got here.

Hopefully we all survive me the rest of this week. :blush:

2. unclematty

unclematty 1/2 ton status

OOPS!!!! :haha: :haha: :haha:

3. ronnny

ronnny 1/2 ton status

what kind of fuel does the boilers run on? How much extra fuel did you go through this weekend? :D How old of a school building is it to still be using a boiler to heat with? I am not much into that kind of building maintenance and have nothing to do with the boilers at work but reset faults and let them go through a reset and restart themselves. If not working then call a couple people. I thought most schools have went to individual heat and air units for each classroom or central units.

4. mountainexplorer

mountainexplorer 1/2 ton status

The old building still has the boiler in it, and it's been there a long time. The newer building, built in '75 has gas heat, which regulates itself.

Speaking of old things, today the bells werent automatically working the way they should. I looked at the automated bell ringing machine, and it's like an antique. Runs off a series of gears and chains and a note on it indicated that the electric motor in it was last replaced in April of 1986. Who knows when it was new... probably the 50's or 40's?

5. 75-K5

75-K5 3/4 ton status

All the schools I went to (including where I go now at IU) use boilers. We got the whole day off school once in middle school when one of them caught fire.