Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Heat torch to remove PS Pump Pulley?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Boss, Apr 4, 2004.

1. Boss

Boss 1/2 ton status Author

Ok, 89' K5 with the Serpentine Belt system.

A couple years ago I replaced my Powersteering pump a few times. Never had a problem with removing the pully from the pump with pully removing kit that I have.

Now, I need to replace my PS pump again and cannot, for the life of me, get that damn pulley off. It simply will not budge. I've used a cheater bar, impact wrench w/ a ujoint socket (that I tore up the joint), air ratchet, you name it...and no movement. /forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif
    Those that know, with the SB style belts, you have to remove the pully first, to access the bolts that hold the pump onto the bracket.

Now, I'm thinking I need to either use a propane torch, or an Oxy-Acety torch to heat it up and try and remove it...
    Anythoughts on that? I really don't want to use a torch under the hood, but sometimes you do what you gotta do...
    If any, I would prefer the propane torch, but not sure if it will heat it up hot enough... /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Any reason why I should not? Thanks in advance...
    Boss

2. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Try lightly tapping on the end of the puller with a hammer, while the puller is tight. Sometimes the vibration will help a stuck press-fit pop apart. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

3. yunit

yunit 1/2 ton status

If you heat up the pulley it might warp. /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

Have you tried putting the installer on and push the pulley in a little bit? This might free it up so you can pull the pulley off with the proper tool. /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

4. velocitiii

velocitiii Registered Member

Propane probably won't heat enough to warp it, but if you put the puller pressure on it while still red it will bend it.

Just curious why on earth have you went through so many pumps? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

5. willyswanter

willyswanter 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

What kind of puller are you using? I use this kind:

[​IMG]

Never not been able to get one off. Always just snug it up then throw the 3/4 drive impact on it and it zips them right off.

6. BranndonC

BranndonC 3/4 ton status

i had every problem you did and then some getting mine off, i ended up just buying a new pully

7. Boss

Willy,

Yes, that is the exact puller I have. The problem is, I can't fit my impact wrench in there without using a Ujoint adapter, which I F'd up with the bad angle I had on it...(the radiator is in the way).

Brandon,
    Where did you buy the pulley from, and how did you remove the pump with the old pulley still on?

Yunit,
    The problem with pushing it in, is it is already flush with the pump, so I can't press it in anymore..

Velocetii,
    The reason for so many pumps is I'm using AGR. When I purchased it a while back, the first one I got was a defective one, then got it replaced under warranty and now it's gone bad...

Yes, I do run a large PS cooler. I don't trust their junk anymore...

Thanks guys, I guess I won't heat it up...glad I asked first...
    Any other suggestions?
    Boss

8. BranndonC

BranndonC 3/4 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Brandon,
    Where did you buy the pulley from, and how did you remove the pump with the old pulley still on?

[/ QUOTE ]

got it from pep boys believe it or not, and my rod that connects to the pulley snapped, so it pretty much just fell out. i dont know your application, but you might be able to cut it off and buy a new one

9. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    The problem is, I can't fit my impact wrench in there without using a Ujoint adapter, which I F'd up with the bad angle I had on it...(the radiator is in the way).

[/ QUOTE ]
    Can't you just take the pump off of the truck???

10. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

i use the KD Tools 60 dollar puller kit and it works great always, the kit in the red box

hmm

11. camiswelding

camiswelding 1/2 ton status

I second the kd puller.. I have the red box as well... but it wasnt that expensive...
    its removed every stuck pully Ive ever had....
    cam

12. Fubeca

Fubeca 1/2 ton status

I took a pump of with just a wrench once. Its a pain but if you have a narrow wrench that will fit behind the pulley you can make it work.

13. Boss

Blazerguy,

I wrote this uptop
    "Those that know, with the SB (serpentine) style belts, you have to remove the pully first, to access the bolts that hold the pump onto the bracket."
    I wish I could remove it with the pulley on, but the pully is blocking the bolts that retain the pump. /forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif

I'm not sure what brand my pulley puller kit is, but it is in a red box. I bought it a few years ago, and can't remember where. It seems quality, since it hasn't bent yet or anything, and put a lot of power on it.... /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Anyhow, I'm thinking, maybe cutting the pulley off is the easiest way to go...but I'm not sure I want to spend the cash on a new one...

Anyhow, thanks everyone for your suggestions. I may try at it again tomorrow... /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif
    Boss

14. Boss

If I remember right, I think the bolts were too long and would hit the pulley before it was all the way out..???
    But I'll check that tomorrow. Thanks.

15. Fubeca

Fubeca 1/2 ton status

Yeah, mine were too long but once I got two of them loose I was able to jiggle it around enough that I could get them out. Might be worth a shot.