Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Heater A/C Door operation

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by BigBadBowTie, Aug 22, 2000.

1. BigBadBowTie

BigBadBowTie 1/2 ton status

I'm troubleshooting my Heater A/C system. I have the Duct Air Distributer removed from the cab side of the heater core box. With that removed you can see a metal door, with a rubber gasket surrounding it. The door is controlled by vacume from the engine. These are my problems questions. In the off or heat positon the heater door closes completely closeing off the Air Distributer duct (the one I removed earlier). This seems correct to me. When the A/C or Vent is on the door opens allowing Air to enter the Air Distributer duct, however it doesn't seem to open all the way. I can manually push the door open about 1/2 - 1" completley blocking off the other route. First of all is the operating correctly?. Secondly should the door open all the way? I've tried adjusting the threaded rod on top of the box, but havn't seen any changes. What should I check for if these things are backwards or the door should open all the way? I recently replaced the heter core, might I have switched the vacume lines to the pods?

<font color=purple>Rick
    86 K-5</font color=purple>

http://www.BigBadBowTie.ColoradoK5.com

2. det45

det45 1/2 ton status

I have the same problem?.........

3. BigBadBowTie

4. K5Junkie

K5Junkie 1/2 ton status

My old 1980 pickup did this same thing and my 90 Blazer does it also. I would assume this is the way it works. I also tried to adjust mine, but it did no help.

http://k5junkie.coloradok5.com/

5. jimmyjack

jimmyjack 1/2 ton status

That was the problem with my a/c earlier this summer. On top of that door there is a wire/cable that is connected to the heat control(I think). Mine needed to be re attached and tweaked a little. Good luck.

creepin' and crawlin'

Jim

6. BigBadBowTie

That cable controls an inner door, that opens and closes to let change from AC to HEAT. BEst I can tell that works correctly, without removing the box again that is. I can hear it opening & closeing.

From what I'm seeing here my box operates normally, nobody elses seem to close the whole way either

<font color=purple>Rick
    86 K-5</font color=purple>

http://www.BigBadBowTie.ColoradoK5.com

7. Canuck

Canuck 1/2 ton status

After I changed my heater core last winter, the heater would not work as well as it should. I re-adjusted the cable on top of the box. It looked correct but I had to really press it as far as I could (on the edge of breaking) and then tighten it up. It may have been a millimeter out but it made all the difference. I hope you didn't mix up the vacuum lines.

Canuck

Go Wide or Stay @ Home