Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

heater/ac fan, shroud removal

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by civicucv, Jul 30, 2002.

1. civicucv

civicucv Registered Member

I have an '84 Jimmy with a 6.2 and ac. Last winter I had a little sporatic bearing noise from my heater/ac fan motor. I put off getting into the replacement job, as the noise was mostly evident on really cold mornings. Lately, I've been using my ac each time I jump in my truck and the bearing squaller has become pronounced. Yesterday I tore into the truck with the aid of all of my manuals, all of which failed to depict my fan shroud which covers the fan motor and ac condenser. I've removed all of the visable fasteners, along with the heater hoses and all of the fan electrics. It seems like there must be a hidden fastener retaining the shroud, directly beneath the fan motor, but I'm not sure how to get to it. I have to remove this shroud before I can access the fan motor. Anyone know how to get to the last fastener? Does the inner fender have to be dropped? Any suggestions, aside from destroying the shroud, or just living without heat and ac? Thanks.

2. Sandman

Sandman 3/4 ton status Author

The fan motor doesnt just bolt to the housing itself? Mine is held on by 3 or 4 bolts and pops right off. /forums/images/icons/confused.gif

3. civicucv

Yeah, my heater fan is held on with a few easy access bolts too. Like I said though, they're only easy access once the huge plastic shroud is removed/moved. It's like the truck was built around the single remaining shroud fastener. My old(er) gasser was like you describe. I guess I'll try to drop the inner fender, though I wish there were a simpler alternative.

4. Sandman

Sandman 3/4 ton status Author

I must be the inner fender then. Interesting way to design it.

5. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Is this part of the firewall insulation/sound deadening setup that the diesels got?

I can't help you if it is, I know my firewall still bears some of it, but I went with no AC, so I had to yank that most of that stuff out too. I don't recall having to remove any shrouding to do so, but I know on some of GM's diesels, they had "blankets" etc to cut down on noise and heat in the cab...

All the heater motors are in the same place though, (taking ac to ac, or non ac to non ac) if you can see it, and the perimeter bolts, that is all that holds it in.

6. 6.2 man

6.2 man 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I just replaced my heater core . There is a fastner you can't get too unless you remove the the inner fender . then everything is right there

7. civicucv

Thanks all. Indeed the shroud on my truck, while factory original, is not evident on many other trucks. It probably is a diesel/vintage specific item. Again, just to clarify: the shroud COMPLETELY conceals the heater fan, spanning nearly half the width of the firewall. That means that the heater fan is totally inaccessable until the shroud is removed. I discovered yesterday that the only way to remove the last shroud fastener, was to drop the inner fender/fender well. On my truck, this necessitated the removal of the diesel filter/water separator, the right side battery, the heater hoses, and a clip securing an ac line. The inner fender is attached to the right side battery tray, which in my case, necessitated the destruction of the tray because the fastener was siezed with corrosion due to electrolight leakage (gotta get those AGMs). I ordered a new battery tray from LMC Truck for half the cost required by the GM dealer (including shipping). After a little jury-rigging, I was satisfied that the battery would stay in it's corner for a week until the new tray arrives. The new fan works like a dream. It's too bad that the shroud was designed in such a way to require such disassembly before accessing the heater fan. Now I know how to do it next time. And I'm still happy that it wasn't anything like working on a Porsche 914. Thanks again everyone. /forums/images/icons/cool.gif