Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

heater conections ?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by SB350XJ, Feb 17, 2003.

1. SB350XJ

SB350XJ Registered Member

Hi Chevys, may be you help a Jeeper again.

I just want to build in a chevy radiotor out of a '89 Pickup in my Jeep with a 5.7 SB(reason:Stock radiator too hot!).

I never have seen where the original hoses are connected. The upper and lower main connections are no problem, but the little one on the left side,( when standing in front. )
    I think this is for the heating.
    Now, how to connect it ?
    I want to go this way: Output engine to input heater, output heater to radiator. Hole in waterpump closed with 1/2" plug or a T-piece to go from output heater to radiator and waterpump. ( if waterpump is heaterwater input !!!)

What would you doing, how is the original connected ?

Bengt

PS: The radiator is with transmission cooling.

2. slider

slider 1/2 ton status

I did not use the small 5/8 outlet from the radiator. Plumb the heater hoses from the intake and the water pump to the heater core and plug the hole in the radiator with a rubber plug that they sell at napa. I think the water pump hose is the inlet and the one going to the intake is the outlet. I think this what your asking if not p mail me and I will help you get this worked out. I did the same swap for a dude a while ago. We used a four core radiator and did this swap. It did run a little cooler(10 to 15 degrees) but not as much as i thought. We ended up putting on a big electric fan on it and used a painless wiring system to run the fan. hope this helps. Later Slider

3. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

the radiator one is actually the 3/4" one, the 5/8" one is in the intake

on light duty cooling the 3/4" hose goes to waterpump, on HD cooling trucks the 3/4" hole on pump is plugged with pipe thread plug and the radiator has a 3/4" port for the top heater core hose

i think it would be easier and better to install thread pipe plug in your waterpump and move the 3/4 hose to the radiator.

4. SB350XJ

I think I will prefer the "little water circuit". That means the hot water engine outlet is connected to the heater, the colder water leaves the heater into the engine(waterpump) back again.
    The radiator link will be used für a thermostat, that can start a electric fan I want to install to replace the original.

Bengt

5. SB350XJ

In the end I have done this and all works fine !
    Chevy Radiator in a Jeep XJ.

Thankx for help !

take a look

also here

6. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

Yeah keeping them cool is a problem with a stock radiator. Bud has a built 360 in his CJ5 (pulls wheelies) and he ended up going with a Griffin 4 core aand electric fan on the front with the mechanical on the engine.
    Now is you don't have a shroud on the fan that may be most of your problem. a shroude doubles amybe tripples the efficency of a fan. Without one the air around the edges of the fan just rolls back infront of the fan and recirculates instead of pulling new air through the radiator.