Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

heater control question

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by bcrewcaptain, May 18, 2004.

1. bcrewcaptain

bcrewcaptain Registered Member

Has anyone done a swap from the old school heater controls to something a little more modern? My fan switch is broken so it needs to be replaced anyway, I'm thinking about doing some sort of mod that will A) allow all the normal functions to work with minimal changes to the dash and B)turn the fan OFF( I know a simple toggle switch would work) since I have a hatred of ALWAYS on fans..
    anyone...anything?

2. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Don't know about the newer stuff, but anything can be made to fit with time and effort.

The heavy duty heater option allows you to shut the fan off, as does the AC setup.

Depending on how it's wired, you might be able to re-wire it so the lowermost switch setting is actually off, instead of still getting power.

3. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

yeah if theres no position labeled OFF then it is always at least spinning very slowly, i guess that is so that the cab is always circulating/venting air i suppose,

4. TorkDSR

TorkDSR 1/2 ton status

i have an on/off.... its either on High, or not on.

it's not a DD so its not an issue

5. bcrewcaptain

bcrewcaptain Registered Member

looking at the setup I think the simplest way is simply make the lowest setting the "off" setting and have med and high, since AC is a thing of the past thats not a huge issue anyway, I'll break apart the controls tonight and see how much of a task thats going to be...if all else fails....toggle switches and pots!

6. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

If you have access to a wrecking yard, check out the heater control heads from various trucks. I know they changed depending on year at least a couple of times, you might find switches that are wired up differently, such as the HD heater one.

The whole harness is "atandalone", so if you can find what you want, it would be a relatively simple swap.