Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

heater core aftermath

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by camango, Mar 15, 2002.

1. camango

camango Registered Member

ok - so i changed out mi heater core - what fun! (wouldn't want GM to make it easier to access from the dash - makes too much sense i guess)

anyways, now i'm left with a soaking wet rug and padding - do i HAVE to take it out and hang it up to dry?
    has anyone had any success with other methods?

thanks
    -lou

2. rampage

rampage 1/2 ton status

You didn't follow Grim's write up did you? /forums/images/icons/blush.gif ... you could lift the carpet and padding and put a portable heater in there for a while or a hair dryer would work too. The only problem is that your truck will always have that antifreeze smell. The proper way would be to take the carpet out and wash it off with some kind of soap.

3. camango

well, i followed his replacement article in the tech section, but i couldn't find any posts about drying the rugs. - believe me, i tried before i posted

can you link me to the thread?

thanks
    -lou

4. wheelnut46

wheelnut46 1/2 ton status

I just changed the heater core in my 77 a couple months ago and it wasnt that hard. Took about an hour. Drying the rug will only take a day or 2 with the windows open while you're at work or something. Febreeze is a fabric cleaner that gets smells out of cloth, rugs, furniture, etc. After the rug drys out, unscrew the sprayer from the bottle and dump a bunch out onto the rug. Blot it up with rags and paper towels. Again, let dry. If that doesnt work try shampoo.
    Good luck.

5. camango

ah febreeze -
    is there anything it WONT fix?

6. K5DRAGER

K5DRAGER 1/2 ton status

One way to get rid of the smell after its dry is to put a couple of clothes drier sheets under the carpet for a while. Just a trick I've heard about and tried... worked pretty good too.

7. wheelnut46

wheelnut46 1/2 ton status

yes because if your killer rockin' stompin' K5 doesnt smell springtime fresh its just not "done"
    hehe

8. camango

habhab
    a trashed me says ha ha - springtime fresh is the cornerstone of any good 4x4
    i refuse a truck that smels any less than my whisky