Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Heater core ...easier on non A/c truck?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by BowtieBlazer, Nov 5, 2002.

1. BowtieBlazer

BowtieBlazer 1/2 ton status

Is it any easier to change the heater core on a non factory AC truck? I was comparing my two trucks today and the heater core lines are way behind the blower and all in my 85 2wd w/ A/C....Looking under the hood of my blazer the heater core in and out lines are to the right of the blower box...its an 84...Not looking forward to this PITA. /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

2. zakk

zakk 1/2 ton status

they are all PITA.

3. wayne

wayne 3/4 ton status

It took me about 2 1/2 hours to do one in Donna's 90 which has air. I really didn't think it was that bad of a job. It was kinda funny because I did it on a Saterday and went to Napa to pick up the new one, when I pulled into the parking lot and got out there was antifreeze running out under the passenger side door. Fortunately the carpet was already out of the truck. /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

4. BowtieBlazer

Just trying to have high hopes...maybe trick myself into thinking it was an easier job....guess I have to do it. Its getting winterlike here...all 50 deg. of south Louisiana winter.

5. BARRAZA

BARRAZA 1/2 ton status

On a non a/c truck it takes about 15 min max. All the bolts are accessible. Takes longer to drain and replace the coolant than the heater box.

6. Zeus33rd

Zeus33rd Smarter than you GMOTM Winner

Barraza is right....I just did mine 3 weeks ago...If I had had all my tools together in one spot, It woulda taken me about 15 minutes. I spent about half an hour doin mine, tryin to find my damn tools.....lol /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

7. BowtieBlazer

So do I have to unbolt all bolts on the firewall that surround the blower etc, or is it just teh 4-6 i see accessable. In other words should i read the heater core swap article or is it as easy as unbolting a couple bolts. I like the 15min vs 4hr job

8. Leadfoot

Leadfoot 1/2 ton status Premium Member

It's been a while since I did it, but here is from memory on non-A/C cab. VERY EASY! Unhook the heater lines in the engine compartment (a VERY good time to replace with new ones). There are a number of studs sticking through the fire wall that you take the nuts/washers off. There may be a regular bolt or two to remove too (can't remember now, but if you look at the housing on the inside and then at the firewall from the engine compartment side, you should see right away if there are any). Take bolts on bottom of glovebox out and remove the glovebox (not absolutely necessary but makes life easier. Remove clips and screws holding cables to the heater box assy (3 cables). Unbolt/unscrew the heater assy from the duct that goes up for the defrost (directly above tranny hump), remove a few (not sure of number or maybe only one) screws that are on the outside edge of the heater housing and bolt to firewall. Once all screws are removed pull assy towards you and down (have rags ready to catch anti-freeze). Pull unit out into open area and you will see the heater core on the backside of the unit. There are a few (I think 9/32" but not sure) screws and bar holding the heater core in. Remove those and the core, and any leaves/debris that have accumulated through the years. It is also a good idea to check the hamster cage (i.e. heater motor/fan) for debris. Reassemble in opposite order. The first time I did this it took me an hour (not knowing Jack Squat what I was doing). I can do it now in about 20 minutes start to finish assuming everything goes as planned. It is not a bad job, and it is not a race (I gave you times as an idea of how "hard it is to do the job"), so take your time, keep everything together and you should be fine.

Note** there is a rubber "gasket" that goes over the lines of the heater core to seal against the inside of the firewall and is usually rotten and should be replaced as well.

9. BowtieBlazer

Thank You VERY much! Looks like my weekend might be somewhat busy. I am about to start taking a new girl out on dates. The blazer is a respectable ride, and althogh our south Louisiana winters are mild (a bit milder than normal so far) I think my HD heater can be put to use... /forums/images/graemlins/pimp1.gif For the past 1 1/2yrs I have just bundled up through the winter rather than fixing the heater b/c my old g/f didn't mind. This one might take some time to earn the blazer some respect so why not start off right by atleast fixing something as simple as the heater! Hopefully my cozy ride will lead to some cozy nights! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

10. BowtieBlazer

Okay, so I didnt get to it this weekend, but today I did! Whoo hoo got heat! Thanks for all the advice. Total time including running to the parts store for the new core = 1hr 30min...not too bad for my first time in that area of the truck....thanks again! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif

11. Leadfoot

Leadfoot 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Congrats, glad I could help.