Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Heater core going bad?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by WakeBoard&4X4er, Sep 9, 2002.

1. WakeBoard&4X4er

WakeBoard&4X4er 1/2 ton status

This past weekend i took my 91 K5 on a trip. Everything worked Great all weekend, until i got 10 miles from home. The truck drove 4+ hours (@45-65) down and 3+hours @(55-75) back. Then i got off the hi-way and on the city streets of my town, i started to smell a sweet smell. I was thinking it was some other car, because my truck was not getting hot at all, was not over 180. The floor is dry, and no leaks under the truck. Pulled the dip-stick and not milky oil, no white smoke. I run the Vents on most of the time and do not run the A/C unless it I REAL HOT AND NOT WIND. When I moved the Vents from Floor to Vents, there was a puff of Dust or Smoke and I could smell the sweet smell again. I have not checked the leave of coolant, but I was going to look at it tonight and then drive it on the hi-way and around town and see if it drops.

Any one have so ideas on this one?

91 K5 auto, 350, 700, 241, 35s, 3.42, 10b, no top, trany cooler, newer (1year) rad, thermostat(1year), O2 (1year), fuel filter (1year), Plugs(1year).

2. TopOff

TopOff 1/2 ton status

Might be a loose hose to the heater core too...atleast I hope so.

I hate removing these things!

3. WakeBoard&4X4er

there would be water on the ground then... Right?

4. TopOff

TopOff 1/2 ton status

Not if it's a small leak... /forums/images/icons/frown.gif

I have seen Radiator leaks (from everyewhere) leak and evaporate before they drip...

It will eventually though. I wouldn't worry about it unless you like your carpet... /forums/images/icons/shocked.gif

check all your hoses. Pull the carpet from the passenger side, check all your heater boxes for water too...

Turn on the heater, you should have a block blocking coolant to the core, until you turn on the heater.

Turn it on before the engine gets hot. This way the leak will drip instead of evaporate.

Good luck.

5. WakeBoard&4X4er