Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Heater core in my 84 blazer

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by badmix, Sep 9, 2006.

1. badmix

badmix 1/2 ton status

Im thinking of changing my heater core, I smell a sweet smell (antifreeze) and my rad. seems to be losing 1/2 cup or so of fluid. None in the oil, etc.

Anyways, i seen the tutorial that is posted in here at the home page tech section, it was well written, but my truck has working A/C, that tutorial didnt have A/C. Would it be the same instructions? Or is there more involved with A/C.

Also if anyone has done a heater core could you tell me any tricks, secrets or anything that I may need to know and to make it a lil easier?

Thanks, any help is appreciated.

2. thfonz98

thfonz98 1/2 ton status

seemed to be the same pretty much with my 91 k5 with a/c when i repaced mine.

3. badmix

badmix 1/2 ton status

How hard was it to do? Anything I should take precaution with or any suggestion or shortcut to take? Or is it what it is, jus a handfull and only one way to do it?

4. thfonz98

thfonz98 1/2 ton status

Easy. Just took a little bit of time.

Only "fun" :mad: part is the nut that is between the firewall and the tire well. Mine was missing thankfully, presume the PO(my grandfather) never wanted to deal with that again.

i was unsure on how to take the pin out of the heater blend door after i got the heater box off. went to a buddy's house and it just pulls out IIRC.

5. badmix

badmix 1/2 ton status

Yeah I read about the nut behind wheel well. If I can see it, I may jus drill a hole in wheel well big enuff to get socket in there, Idunno, gotta wait til I go down and start messing. Funny part is the heate core only cost 20-30bux, its the time and labor that is goin to kill me.

6. badmix

badmix 1/2 ton status

its done!!!!!!!!!

Took 3.5 hours start to finish. I yanked the wheel well to get the two bottom nuts. Dumbest thing I ever seen. They actually have a BOLT that goes thru one of the holes, why not put threaded bolts on all of them that can be accessed from inside. Oh well. The biggest chore is taking the heater box apart, you have to take it COMPLETELY apart, not one single Screw or Lever rod can stay in place.

My old heater core didnt look bad, didnt see any leaks, but I 1/2 wonder if it was clogged at some point. OH well. new one is in and im good to go.