Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

heater core question

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by grunt11b40x, Nov 6, 2003.

1. grunt11b40x

grunt11b40x 1/2 ton status

my heater is not putting out heat. I have checked for leaks and have none. is it possible or common for the heater core to clog up? my rad hoses get hot but the hose from the water pump to the heater core is cool also the return hose from the core is cool also. I am guessing the heater core my be clogged up. anyone have this problem before ?

2. Klef72K5

Klef72K5 1/2 ton status

Are the fluids full? Usually the heater core will leak. Since you say both hoses coming from the heater core is cold, makes me think that your thermastat is most likely the culprit! If one was hot and the other cold I'd say heater core. Do you have a temp gauge? If you do and you know what thermastat is in it you can diagnose it this way.

Example: gauge reads 160 and gets no higher and you have a 180 thermastat. You most likely have a open therastat.

If gauge reads 200 and you have a 180 (and fluids are full) you could have a closed therastat.

Both of these examples would need the thermastat replaced.

3. grunt11b40x

it has a 190 stat, but the hose to the core is running from the waterpump to the core and the return goes from the core to the rad. I don't understand how the tstat would effect the heatercore? maybe I am lost here my gage tells me the tstat is working goes to about 210 then drops back to 190 when the tstat opens.

4. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

[ QUOTE ]
    my heater is not putting out heat. I have checked for leaks and have none. is it possible or common for the heater core to clog up? my rad hoses get hot but the hose from the water pump to the heater core is cool also the return hose from the core is cool also. I am guessing the heater core my be clogged up. anyone have this problem before ?

[/ QUOTE ]

One hose is to thje water pump and one to the radiator? those are both returns. The hose to the heater core HAS to come from the intake and go to the lower 5/8's connection on the core. Return line can go to either the radiator or the water pump. Personnaly I like the radiator.

5. k5guyva

k5guyva 1/2 ton status

My suspicion would be the blend door.

6. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

you need to plug the waterp8ump heater core hose neck hole and use the intake for your 5/8" hose and the radiator tank fo your 3/4" thne you will have heat, if heater core is any goo

7. grunt11b40x

Thanks, That was my next thought, that maybe I had the lines screwed up. I will switch them around and see what happens. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

8. Klef72K5

Klef72K5 1/2 ton status

9. Are the heater/blower fans working?

10. grunt11b40x

Thanks guys for all the info! got the heat working by switching the hose from the water pump to the intake, man I feel like a dumb ass sometimes but thankfully I have you great bunch of k5er's to keep me straight!!! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif