Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

heater core removal

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by dheavychevy38, Nov 21, 2004.

1. dheavychevy38

dheavychevy38 1/2 ton status Premium Member

anyone have any tips for removeing it on a 89 k5

2. BrianDamage

BrianDamage 1/2 ton status

3. dontoe

dontoe 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

I had one leaking on a '86 Blazer and on it you have to remove the dash pad to get to it. It was winter and I haven't a garage so I took it to a Auto Shop to have it done. It's alot more difficult than the older models.

4. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    I had one leaking on a '86 Blazer and on it you have to remove the dash pad to get to it. It was winter and I haven't a garage so I took it to a Auto Shop to have it done. It's alot more difficult than the older models.

[/ QUOTE ]

Nonsense, it's not that hard at all.

5. dontoe

dontoe 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

Maybe I was misinformed. Please let me know if I was! /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

6. stallion85

stallion85 1/2 ton status

I changed mine out on my 85' for the first time with the help of the CK5 write up. And I am a novice mechanic. It was pretty easy, one tip, if you have a digital camera take pic's of how the linkage is hooked up. I did not and it took me a while to figure it out /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

7. randy88k5

randy88k5 1/2 ton status

Its been a while since I changed mine on the 88, but Ill try to explain it. It was fairly easy. Dont think I removed the dash pad, but it might make it a little easier. I think the glovebox needs to come out too. The cable from the heater control needs to be removed, along with the 2 hoses from the firewall in the engine bay. A few vent tubes might need to be disconnected too. Then, there are like 3 or 4 nuts that hold the heater box onto the firewall. You get to them from the engine bay also. Might be a few inside the cabin too. When the heater box comes out, you should be able to see how the heater core comes out of the box. Its not too labor intensive, might take 2 hours total. Pretty cheap too, new cores are usually less than $30.

8. darkshadow

darkshadow 1 ton status

yeah its not hard at all i JUST did mine in 20 minutes

there are nuts on the moter side of the firewall, pull the hoses and put them up high, pull the glove box out the box will come off under the dash, two 1/4" or 9/32" hex screws and the core comes right out, thats it!