Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Heater Core Removal

Discussion in '1983-2005 S-Series models' started by tommyt, Sep 16, 2002.

1. tommyt

tommyt Newbie

I am changing out a leaking heater core in my 1988 s10 blazer. I am following the directions given in the GM service manual which lacks a lot of detail. I have disconnected the hoses and mounting bracket on the engine side of the firewall. Inside I have removed the screws from the rear cover of the heater assy case but cannot completely remove the rear cover because of a lack of clearance with the rear of the dash.
    Does the dash need to be removed or loosened and moved to remove the rear cover and heater core? Any help appreciated.

2. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

I did this chore on my '91 a couple of years ago. I think that I had to bend the cover slightly to get it to squeeze out from under the dash. I don't recall taking the dash out or doing anything special to get the cover out of there. I don't envy you. Changing that heater core really sucks. /forums/images/icons/mad.gif

3. Ck1500

Ck1500 1/2 ton status

its funny you mention this cuz i just had to replace mine like 2 weeks ago in my 1989 S-15 Jimmy, it was a PITA!!!!! but i did manage to get it done, even with some screws left over /forums/images/icons/smile.gif hehehe i had to loosen the screws to the right side of the dash to get enough room to get my hands up in there and remove that thing, i had a little piece of wood wedged in there so i could make sure i wasn't going to damage the new one, and once it was in place i pulled the wood out and put all the screws "i thought was necessary" in and rehooked hoses and mounting screws on engine side,

give yourself about a good 1 to 1 1/2 to do and then after you have turned yourself into the human pretzel getting in there you'll have done it!!! hopes this helps

lemme know

Ck1500