Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

heater core removal

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by GONZO2, Oct 3, 2003.

1. GONZO2

GONZO2 1/2 ton status

alright looks like the heater core on the old blazer is leaking, so how does this thing come out? i looked under the dash (my 79 ta came from there) and looks like the duct housing has some type of wierd screw head that is smooth all the way around and it's too flush to wall to grab with anything. does it come out from under the hood? i can see where the supply and return hoses, but unless you remove the entire ac/ fan motor housing i can't see how it would come that way /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

i don't have a shop manual for it, so if anyone does /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif

2. SUBFAN

SUBFAN 1/2 ton status

I took out the glove box and went at it from the inside, drilled out the factory bolts and used larger sheet metal screws....

3. 77Jimmy

77Jimmy 1/2 ton status

This might help... /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

click here

4. GONZO2

GONZO2 1/2 ton status

77jimmy
    thanks for the link. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif
    if i read that right you loosen the bolts around the ac/ blower motor housing, but do not remove the housing. this should free the box under the dash on my 88 /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif .

5. Derf00

Derf00 1/2 ton status

Grim's article is the best I have found, far better than Chiltons or Haynes. The only thing I did different, and I may have just been lucky, before attempting to remove the inner fenderwell to get to the bottom bolt, I used two long extensions and a universal joint and a extra set of hands and was able to remove the bottom bolt. Otherwise I followed Grim's instructions and didn't have any troubles.

6. johnnieg

johnnieg 1/2 ton status

i just replaced the heater core in my 88 about 2 months ago and it was very time consuming, but possible.