Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Heater core replacement... how long to plan for???

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by foxman, Jan 27, 2004.

1. foxman

foxman 1/2 ton status

Fogging up windows, antifreeze on the passanger floor, and smelling like a candy factory... /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif I can't believe it waited for the coldest, crappiest part of the year to happen, but there's no denying it, so I've got to get out there and do it.

My Question is how long should I plan to be out there?

Any tricks or tips that ya'll might share with me that would help out? /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

Thanks a mill.

Jeremy

2. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

Try this /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

3. the cork

the cork 1/2 ton status

you might want to do a quick pressure test on your new on,
    just plug one inlet and put a piece of hose on the other, set it in a sink filled with water, and slightly blow air
    into the hose to see if you can see air bubbles, last time
    i replaced my heater core i had to return 5 of them until
    i got one that didnt leak, there made in taiwan and i think
    they get bumbed around during shipping or they dont know
    how to solder, but it was a pain in the arse, /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif

4. jwduke

jwduke 1/2 ton status

It really helps if you have a helper, when you stab the heater box back in (Then their will not be any of those 4 letter words, and thaughts of trading your "baby" off!). I'd plan on at least 3-4 hours. Good luck!!!

5. SUBFAN

SUBFAN 1/2 ton status

Mine has taken 18 months, good thing I live close to work /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

6. justhorsinaround

justhorsinaround 3/4 ton status

Maybe I was really lucky but it took me right at an hour from start to finish. Course I was hustlin cuz on account it was my "lunch hour" and my boss back then was a serious dick. His name is even Richard. Anyways, the hardest part is the nuts under the AC box. The rest is a piece of cake. A little bit of advice, really pay attention when ya pull it apart makes it a heck of a lot easier to put back together. Good luck.

Allan

7. Steve_87K5

Steve_87K5 1/2 ton status

It really isn't as bad a job as I thought it would be. Grim's write up is good. I found that removing the nuts on the engine compartment side was easier with a deep 1/4 drive socket, a flex extension and a cordless drill. Especially the lower nut.

8. stallion85

stallion85 1/2 ton status

Thanks for the post, I am in the same boat. I am doing mine on sunday hopefully /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

9. steedalx

steedalx 1/2 ton status

Mine took around 3 to 4 hours. The only hard part was the hour I spent trying to get the bottom left nut off that sits between the blower motor and the inner fender. I eventually used a big pry bar and bent my inner fender down enough to get a swivel socket down there. I also pulled my A/C off so it was a bit easier with the evaparator removed...good luck

10. BlazerWheels

BlazerWheels 1/2 ton status

I had never done it before, and it took me just a little over 3 hours with Grim's write up. Good luck /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

11. jwduke

jwduke 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Mine took around 3 to 4 hours. The only hard part was the hour I spent trying to get the bottom left nut off that sits between the blower motor and the inner fender. I eventually used a big pry bar and bent my inner fender down enough to get a swivel socket down there. I also pulled my A/C off so it was a bit easier with the evaparator removed...good luck

[/ QUOTE ]

Put some electrical tape on that nut, put the socket on that nut you can't see, and it goes on with ease!