Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

heater core replacement in 97 jimmy?

Discussion in '1983-2005 S-Series models' started by K5DRAGER, Dec 6, 2002.

1. K5DRAGER

K5DRAGER 1/2 ton status

My sister took her jimmy to the mechanic and he said the reason the heater isn't working is because the heater core needs replaced. I have worked and raced alot of trucks in the years, but have not messed with these. Is this a pain in the A$$? He said it would cost 225.00 to replace. Just wondering if I should help her out money wise or just do it. I have a complete shop and tools and time. But do not need any new headaches. thanks all /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif

2. davester8022

davester8022 Registered Member

Stationed in Missouri but hail from Idaho
    I have a 91 sonoma and I dont know if its anything like a 97 but i just replaced my heater core the other day. It went out last year and i payed to have it done and they charged about the same as what you had said ($225), so I decided to try it on my own this time and it wasnt too bad, took me about 2 hours. If its the same as my truck, you just take the bottom cover off underneath the dash board on the passenger side and you will be able to see the air duct box. Once you do that, take the bolt out on the underside of the dash (next to the door) that holds the whole dash board up (this is to just loosen the dash, dont worry you dont have to take the whole dash out). After that, on the air duct box, you will be able to take the front cover off of the box (should be about 6 screws) once you've got that off, you will see the core and there is just a clamp on either side that will pop off. Now if you haven't already just dissconnect the 2 hoses from the core inside the engine compartment, and yank it out from inside the cab and thats it. Well, I hope this helps you at all, if your truck is nothing like what I explained then I'm sorry I couldnt help. Dave

3. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

I've done in on my '91 as well and it's wasn't too bad of a job. However, the body style changed in '95, so I'm not sure if they made it harder or easier with that change. The good news is that a new heater core only cost me $27. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif