Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Heater Core Replacement

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by kpanza, Mar 29, 2002.

1. kpanza

kpanza 1/2 ton status

Ok guys, it's been a long time since I replaced the heater core in my old S10 truck, I am wondering if the Blazer cores are just as much of a b**ch to replace? Thought I smelled the familiar odor of antifreeze, and sure enough it is leaking all over the passengers carpet area and the firewall...so time for a new one.

Just can't remember how bad it was?? We just got hooked up with wholesale pricing at the local Chevy dealer, was thinking maybe I would let them battle with it if the price is right...

2. beater74

beater74 1/2 ton status

3. MudbogAD

MudbogAD 1/2 ton status

Yeah, there is a write up on it. I need to replace mine soon too. It went out a month ago but I just bypassed it until I get the time to replace it. Plus it isn't cold anymore here in Vegas.

4. Derf00

Derf00 1/2 ton status

Read Grim's article it is the best one I have seen. It is not a fun job, but certainly not one that is worth paying someone else to do for you.

5. NITRO

NITRO 1/2 ton status

hey, i replaced mine. it was the first thing i did on it. it was a pain in the a$$. you have to drop the fender. when i put it back together i just left the bolts off that u have to take the fender off to get to. problem solved! i got mine for $30 at auto zone.

NITRO

6. kpanza

kpanza 1/2 ton status

Yeah, I guess I know what I am doing tomorrow afternoon! Do you guys know off hand which size the Blazers run? The parts guy said that he showed two possibilites: 1) 7 1/8" x 7 1/2" x 2" or 2) 8 1/4" x 7" x 2" ?? Both had the 5/8 inlet and the 3/4 outlet...

By the way, the truck is an 87 with A/C...

7. wayne

wayne 3/4 ton status

I feel for ya Keith. I have to do mine soon too. /forums/images/icons/frown.gif

8. kpanza

kpanza 1/2 ton status

Yeah, I am dreading it already! I guess I'll find out how much clearance I have once I get in there, but I have hacked up my lower inner fender after cutting my fenders back for tire clearance...maybe I'll get lucky and be bale to get in without taking it out?

Anyone know which size? I guess I might have to actually pull the old one out and bring it down there to be sure...also am going to try to fix the vacuum pot thingy by the pedal, it hasn't worked for a long time...I rigged up the "door" under there to just send air to the dash for defroster...I have no heat coming out in the bottom vents, would like to get rid of that jerry rigged setup! /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

So much for installing the D60 tomorrow afternoon! Damn!