Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

heater core stopped up

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by ronnny, Dec 7, 2005.

1. ronnny

ronnny 1/2 ton status

I believe that my heater core is about stopped up. Before trying to change it out what should i do to try and un stop it? Run the water hose through it both ways several times or blow some compressed air through it? How much air would be to much? Just some thoughts as i do not really want to change it out right now. If i drained the coolant could i put something in the water like citric acid to help clean the heater core out? What do places do when the flush the coolant system and would this help? Like said i do not really want to mess it up where i have to change it right now, for i can live with the barely warm air till i fel more like changing it. The inside of the radiator looks pretty good from what i can see but does not look as if the previous owner has just changed it or anything.:confused:

2. readymix

readymix 3/4 ton status

I have always used the garden hose. run it reverse flow forst then the other way. Lather, Rinse, Repeat.....

3. gmtech954

gmtech954 Registered Member

just hook the garden hose right to the heater core to flush it out. i would not rec. air because you will probably blow out the core if you went above 15psi also most build ups in coolant systems are caused by the coolant turning acidic and forming corrosion as far as an additive goes i would add a ph neutralizer

4. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

Pretty much what everone else has said works for me too.Then I would also do a radiator flush with some of the most HD flushing compound you can find. . If your heater core is stopped up. Your radiator (unless new) prolly is the same way.

5. gmtech954

gmtech954 Registered Member

good point thunder

6. MTMike

MTMike 1/2 ton status

What the others said

Also, worst case scenerio is a new one costs $32 and it takes about 2 hours to replace one (Unless you have A/C - then I hear it's a bit trickier)