Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Heater core valve?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by mouse, Sep 5, 2005.

1. mouse

mouse 1/2 ton status

Although winter is almost here and heat will be my friend, during the summer months the constant heat from the heater core sucks. My blazer originally had AC, but was removed sometime in its 28 year life. It now sports only floor heat or defrost (no side vents even). I would like a way to stop the coolant flow to the heater core in the summer, but be asily opened back up for cold mornings etc. Is there a easy way to do this?

2. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

I just installed a water valve in one of the lines to the heater core on my '75 and then closed the valve. It made a HUGE difference in the air coming from the vents during the summer. I just open the valve up when winter arrives. I bought it at an auto parts store for around $10, complete with hose nipples on both ends. :cool1:

3. 72jimmycst

72jimmycst Registered Member

I've put some thought into it and I was going to pick up some brass "T" valves like the kind you would use for water lines. If you rig it right you would just have to turn two levers and bypass the heater core completely. Every summer we just switch the lines in our dump truck, it only takes about 10 min or so.

4. 72jimmycst

72jimmycst Registered Member

All you had to do was block one line? That what I get for going to collage, I tend to over think things.

5. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

I believe Chev used them in the 80's on cars like the Monte Carlo.

I know Oldsmobile Cutlaii had them (RWD) in the 80's, but they threaded into the intake in the rear, which would be hard to do on a Chev motor.

Both are vacuum operated.

6. HarryH3

Yep, stop the water flow and most of the heat stops flowing also. :wink1:

Collage? :rolleyes:

7. mouse

mouse 1/2 ton status

Sounds good. Any noticeable effect on overall engine cooling from this?

8. Esteban86K5

Esteban86K5 1/2 ton status

I bought a cable actuated shut off valve that came off a cadillac of some sort. All I do is flip the lever and it stops the water flow. In the winter i flip it back and the water flows again. It was only a few dollars at the Auto parts store and it works great. I always said that i was going to run the cable into the cab so that i could flip it form the inside but it was too much work for only using it twice a year. :wink1:

9. HarryH3

No change at all. The engine gets it's coolant via the 2 big hoses going to the radiator.

10. mouse

mouse 1/2 ton status

I picked up a valve for a AMC application - 5/8 inch on both sides, cable actuated. I just need to find a cable with a round end to connect to the lever. I found it at Bumper-to-bumper....$22. A bit high, but now I can better control the heat!

Thanks for the help!

11. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

Shoula spoke sooner..

A "ball valve" from Home Depot for less than 10 bucks would have worked just as good.. :doah: ..but you'd have to open the hood to shut it on or off...I've used "C" clamps or vise grips with blocks of wood to pinch off the heater hoses to keep it cooler in the cab during summer months..or when my heater core springs a leak.. :mad: :crazy: