Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Heater core

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Muddytazz, Jun 10, 2005.

1. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

I just found out this morning that my heater core took a crap and is leaking in on the floor of the burb. Since its getting warmer, no need to fix right away.

My question is, if I just put a shut-off valve in-line on the heater hose to shut off the flow of coolant to the heater, which hose do I put it on?

2. scubahard

scubahard Registered Member

You will need to "plug" both hoses. Your local auto parts store should have a coupling to just connect the two hoses together, thus bypassing the heater core. I think that would be the best temp solution. Then you maintain full circulation throughout your engine. I had to do this about two weeks ago.

Do a search. There was a thread up about a week ago that talked about what you need in great detail.

3. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

I just thought of something, I can put a shut-off valve in both hoses that way I wouldn't have to disconnect one of the holes and plug it.

I already knew about the splicing both hoses together bit as I've had to do that before on other rigs.

4. shane74

shane74 1/2 ton status

Unless you put in bypass, you won't get coolant flowing throught the engine properly. It can be done, but is it really worth the trouble?

5. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

I know people on here have but in shut-off valves on their heater hoses with out plugging the other hose. I've seen the posts before but can't find them now.

As for proper flow, whats the difference between what I suggested versus just running on heater hose from the rad to the intake or waterpump(some motors are hooked up differently)or just plugging the rad and the other port all together. Your still getting the regular flow thru the upper and lower rad hoses.

6. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

I just got done looking at my hose routing, and I don't even have a hose going to the rad, one heater core hose goes to the water pump and the other goes to the intake.