Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Heater Core

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 82_k5, Nov 6, 2005.

1. 82_k5

82_k5 Registered Member

I have a 92 suburban with a very leaky heater core. I am having a heck of a time getting the ducts taken apart to get to the core. I tried taking the upper half off but it is impossible to reach some of the bolts, i have no idea what to do now. Chiltons is useless. Any tips would be greatly appreciated.

2. randy88k5

randy88k5 1/2 ton status

I think there might be some nuts or bolts only accessable through the engine compartment. I dont have the newer style interior, but hopefully they are similar enough.

I had to pull the dash pad off, then take out a few of the ducts around the heater box. There was one bolt holding it together I think, the rest were just pressure fit. Some were held together with duct tape. Then pulled the box out. Heater core is inside.

Sorry I cant help more, but thats what I did. Wasnt too hard.

3. blackblazer717

blackblazer717 1/2 ton status

i believe their are 3 or 4 bolts assesable from the engine compartment only, you need to remove the inner wheelwell (if not already removed) than it is pritty much pressure fit and a think 5 more under the dash!

LUKE

4. caleb22

caleb22 1/2 ton status

I just did my 89 two weeks ago. I actually took off the entire fender and inner wheelwell but you can do it by just removing the inner. There are some bolts that attach to the heater box on the inside and stick out the firewall with nuts attached. These will be at the bottom. I removed the dash pad and glovebox too. I actually went ahead and removed all the ducts, replaced the dash speakers, cleaned it all up, and put in a new cheap CD player.

Once you get the box out I had to undo a lot of screws inside the box and some of the lever doors to get the core out.

Do you best not to break the seal on the firewall side of the heater box.