Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

heater core

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by K5Greek, Oct 8, 2006.

1. K5Greek

K5Greek 1/2 ton status

how long would this take to replace and what prices would i expect to pay for one? any tips for when i do this?

2. badmix

badmix 1/2 ton status

If you are mechanically inclined, it will take 3.5-4.0 hours. The hardest part is getting to nuts that are in the firewall area down low. You either drill a hole in the wheel well or take the wheel well out complete. There are 3 nuts in the firewall and one bolt in the pass.. compartment.

I jus did mine less than 3 weeks ago. Make sure ya dont run the heater or anything prior to changing it.

When you take the heater hoses off, stuff something in the heater core outlets to keep from making a mess. I lost about 1/4 cup of fluid when I did this. And tie the heater hoses up high outa the way so they dont leak out. Its not necessary to drain any fluid from rad.

I have working A/C and I did not have to mess with this or remove any part of this.

When removing the heat exchanger and assembly from under the dash, jus take your time. Dont jus start ripping it out.

You will have to COMPLETELY dissassemble the assembly that holds the heater core, Im talking every single screw and nut. You will have to move the pivot rods that move the vent and heater doors. Also all the hardware on the top of the box. Jus pay very close attention to where everything goes. It can be pretty tricky.

I removed the pass. seat and pulled carpet back incase I made a mess, which I didnt. But the seat being removed really made it easy to work on the box.

Jus take your time and look to see how things go and bolt up. Its actually pretty easy, jus takes time.

Last edited: Oct 8, 2006
  3. sweetk30

sweetk30 professional hooker Premium Member

easy job like he said. just take time and use pleanty of lube on the old nuts and bolts.

4. broc944

broc944 1/2 ton status

I bought mine at NAPA three years ago for $19.

5. badmix

badmix 1/2 ton status

Oh yeah, I paid 22bux or something like that. They are cheap.

I jus remembered one thing, when ya get the new core into the plastic box and then go to mount the box on the inside firewall, jus be careful of the new heatercore inlet and outlet tubes. Dont jus ram the box in place. Youll get it up there and then go to the engine compartment and line up the tubes, you may have to tweak them ever so slightly.

6. smalltruckbigcid

smalltruckbigcid 1/2 ton status

Check the online price because when I bought mine at checker the list price was $44. but the online price at the same store was $25. The store matched the online price, but I had to go home and print the price out and prove it.
    George

7. jdwest

jdwest Newbie

Be very careful with the heater box it self when disasembling!! All that old plastic in there is very brittle. Don't ask me how I know....but super glue will become your friend if you are not careful! Be patient and take your time. There are a couple of screws holding the heater core in the heater box that are covered by weather stripping.

8. K5Greek

K5Greek 1/2 ton status

yea i looked it up on summit and 26$ was the most expensive.. cool, only part i dont like though is the amount of time.. thought it would be about and hour or so.. thanks for all the tips

9. badmix

badmix 1/2 ton status

IF youve never done it b4 and are using hand tools, there is no way itll be that short a time. It is jus time consuming, if you go fast, youll break stuff. the wheel well comes out fairly easy, Be WARNED, cover your brake line with something, the wheel well is very sharp on the edges and when you take it out, it comes down on the brakelines.

The box is what takes alot of the time, jus taking it apart and figuring how to put it back together. ONce youve done it, its a piece of cake. But it does take time.

I think the books say 4hours, I did mine in 3.5. and I think that was partly cuz I read alot of what to do b4 hand, so I knew the wheel well has to come out (the tire doesnt need to come off btw). and taking out the pass. seat freed up alot of room so I wasnt fighting for space. The glove box has to come out also.

10. Leper

Leper 1/2 ton status

Does your truck have ac? It makes a difference.

11. k20

k20 3/4 ton status

Dang, I must be superman, I did mine is <2 hrs including getting all the antifreeze outta the carpet lol.

I didnt have to drop the inner fender though. Started to, then changed my mind and did it without takin it out.

12. K5Greek

K5Greek 1/2 ton status

yea she has ac..needs to be recharged tho

13. BigBen

BigBen 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Give this a read:

http://coloradok5.com/heatercore.shtml

I've got AC on my '74 and it took me a while to do.
    A couple of the bolts were a pain to get to.

Give yourself an afternoon and you should be able to do it.

-Ben

PS> What went wrong with mine:

Someone bolted the interior heater box to the firewall. Then they put the end of the bolt through the hole in the "hood side" box and then put another nut on.

I KNEW I had all the nuts off, but couldn't pull the interior box. I FINALLY found the other nut by pulling the entire freakin' assembly out from under the hood.... Then it was smooth sailing.