Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

heater core

Discussion in '1969-1972 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by LKJR, Aug 14, 2001.

1. LKJR

LKJR 1/2 ton status

ok I brought my heater core home today before I reinstall it to make sure it is good. Since I have never had the truck with it in place I would sure hate to install it then have to replace it. It's got that green stuff on the sides like copper does, should I brush this all off and cote it with something to prevent this or what should I do
    thanks guys

Like em big and topless

2. arq

arq 1/2 ton status

i did the same last year. I hooked it up to the radiator system and tied it up nicely in the engine compartment. i ran it like that for a few days. once i was convinced that it was good i put it in. not sure about the green stuff. brush it off...

ARQ.

1-72 4x4 CST Blazer
    2-71 4x4 CST Blazer

3. LKJR

LKJR 1/2 ton status

well i was planning on sticking it in the bathtub under some water, one tube is capped already and I got the hose for the other. Submerge it and blow in it real hard, watch for bubbles
    mechanic told me I could do this just pressure it with like 7-12 lbs of pressure. I think he said the cooling system maxes at like 15 so............... I'm not running the truck now so I cant really go your route

Like em big and topless

4. arq

arq 1/2 ton status

you can do that too. but you have blow really, really, really hard to get up to 12 psi.. you got a wolf, LOL...

i don't think our lungs can pump out that many psi, anyone a lung doctor here??? we would all do without compressors.

ARQ.

1-72 4x4 CST Blazer
    2-71 4x4 CST Blazer

5. LKJR

LKJR 1/2 ton status

LMAO, well I really prayin on this wolf brand chili I have in the cabinet to come thru for me but..... I figured any amout of pressure I could put on it would produce air bubbles if there was a hole

Like em big and topless

6. arq

arq 1/2 ton status

chilli... you're not planning on using the other end of the digestive track??? just don't light a match!

LOL...

ARQ.

1-72 4x4 CST Blazer
    2-71 4x4 CST Blazer

7. Blazer1970

Blazer1970 1/2 ton status

I have a pressure gauge here on my desk, and I can blow about 2 psi max.

Tim

70 Blazer CST 4X4 350 SM465 NP205
    87 Burb 4X4 350
    01 GMC 2500HD 4X4 Duramax/Allison

8. MIKE_MN

MIKE_MN Registered Member

cut a bike intertube in half and clamp both ends to the heater core and put 20 pounds of pressure(a little more than your radiator cap)in it and then submerge it to see if you have any bubbles.

MIKE FROM MINNESOTA 72 CHEVY BLAZER