Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Heater core

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by PGL4VT, Oct 2, 2002.

1. PGL4VT

PGL4VT Registered Member

How much trouble is it to replace the heater core? Mine's leaking and winter is coming. Do I have to unhook an AC stuff? What about the inner fender? Do I have to drop it too? Thanks. /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

2. JimmyJuneau

JimmyJuneau 1/2 ton status

No you shouldnt h ave to unhook any of the AC equipment. ANd yes you do have to drop your inner fender. There is just one scre you have to take out down there. and the ther two are above it. But to help you out take the inner fender off first so you wont hvae any problems. then you just pull it out from under the dash and replac /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gife it. It shouldnt be a problem.

3. Derf00

Derf00 1/2 ton status

Not to disagree, but when I replaced my heater core, I did not remove the inner fender, just used two extensions, a universal joint and an extra set of hands and the lower nut came off without any problems. I would recommend reading Grim's article in the tech section, it was very helpful and better than any of the repair manuals. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

4. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

Depending on the model year, you could find a small triangular plate held by 3 bolts, that will give you access to the hidden bolt, but I took off the inner fender, because it makes it easier to pull everything out. I like to work in a wide space , that is why I got the full size right ?? /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif
    IceMan

5. rampage

rampage 1/2 ton status

I took that nut off the same way. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif ... and left it off for good /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

6. MudbogAD

MudbogAD 1/2 ton status

Mine needs replacin. /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

7. jackedjimmy350

jackedjimmy350 1/2 ton status

as does mine! /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif

8. Stylzz

Stylzz Registered Member

When I replaced mine I didnt want to drop the fender wall and it really made the job a pain. I finally droped it. Just drop it and it will be a lot easier. Note, check the thing for leaks before you put it in because I didnt and the next day the POS was leaking. The second time around is much easier, had the old one out and new one in in less than a hour.

9. wheelnut46

wheelnut46 1/2 ton status

When I replaced mine, all I had to do was remove the glovebox door, disconnect the temperature control cables, remove the bolts on the firewall holding the heater box and drop the heater box under the dash. The heater core is bolted down inside that box. install the new one into the box, push it back through the firewall and bolt it all back up in reverse order. Unless your truck is different than mine it was a fairly simple job.