Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Heater core

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Chaz88K5, Sep 29, 2000.

1. Chaz88K5

Chaz88K5 1/2 ton status

ok well my day was goin good till i started comin home from work....i started smellin antifreze....and then i looked under my dash and what did i see....green stuff dripin....(son of a bitch...one more thing to fix this weekend) so now it looks like i am goin to have to change that...so my question is who has done this before.....how much of a bitch is it to change....do i even want to try to do it my self and just take it to the dealer....I am not dumb when it comes to mechicanal things but i just dont like wastein my weekend doin this crap...i would raduther be in San Fran with my GF that i only get to see about once every 2 weeks...so what should i do?
    Chaz

"whoo my new pic is on the photo page...check it out!!"

2. tom

tom 1/2 ton status

Change it out. I havn't actually done it, but my brother has. On AC vehicles, take the hoses off from the engine side and remove the nuts (about 6). There is one under the blower motor housing that is hard to reach. Get your mirror and you'll find it there. Then jerk the heater core housing off from inside. Put in the new core and put it all back. Real easy for the guy who doesn't have to do it. Actually, I'm told it wasn't too difficult.

3. Zepplin

Zepplin 1/2 ton status

I just changed mine two weeks ago. My Blazer is a 74 without air conditioning. I was easier than I thought it would be. On mine there was four nuts under the hood that have to be removed. The studs are connected to the plastic housing under the dash. Just pull the housing away from the fire wall and turn it over so you can see the heater core. Mine was held in with two small bolts with a brace running from both sides of the bolts. I had enough room to leave the heater controls hooked up on the plastic housing. Then just take out the old heater core clean out any leaves or dirt and then put in the new heater core. I bought my new on at Auto Zone for $18 and it came with a warranty. It only took me about 3 hours from start to finish. Go ahead and try it, it's not that difficult. I hope this helps you out!

Dazed and Confused in a 74 Blazer

ZEPPELIN

4. Nike

Nike Registered Member

Chaz - previous posts are good but I would suggest:
    1 - buy new hearter core
    2 - block off heater hoses
    3 - load tools and drive to SF
    4 - explain to GF the importance of making this job pleasant, and try to get her to hand you tools naked
    5 - proceed as previous posts instruct.
    6 - job will take a bit longer but be much more pleasant

Nike in Mo.

Blue

5. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

I did this in my 89 last spring took me about 2-3 hours and a few beers.It wasn't that hard. The core is in that big plastic(heater case) thing under the dash.For the 88 year k5 You have to pull it as one unit remove the 7 screws then split the heater case apart to get to the core.You cant pull it out from the back as said in eariler post (unless it is an older K5). It is also makes it easier to remove the glove box, Disconnect the antenna wire at the antenna, and remove the ECM a so you have more room. There are 3 nuts under the hood on the fire wall to remove.There are also some controll cables and vacume lines to take off. The process is explained in detail in the Chilton(the grey and green one) repair manual. I would recomend you check one out before doing it. Get a new core.

6. Goose

Goose 1/2 ton status

For Zepplin:
    I had to change my heater core in my '73 a couple years ago. The Auto Zone core was real close to fitting but would rattle slightly in the brackets. They could not find one that was any different, not could I find one at any other similar store. They were all about 1/16" too thin. I had to go to the GM dealer and fork over about $100 for one that would fit! It was absolutely much better quality, but it still sucked paying that much. My question is did you run into any fitment problems, or was '73 just different? (I've heard the '73 window cranks are different than any other year as well)

7. Chaz88K5

Chaz88K5 1/2 ton status

I like your plan nike....but i have decided just to take it to the dealer....175 bucks...i cant beat it....i have a appt nex wed to do it...
    thanks
    Chaz

"whoo my new pic is on the photo page...check it out!!"

8. Zepplin

Zepplin 1/2 ton status

I had no problems putting mine in. I took out the old core and cleaned up some dirt and leaves inside the case and put the bracket on the heater core, bolted it in and it fit perfectly. No problems at all.

Dazed and Confused in a 74 Blazer

ZEPPELIN