Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

HEATer doesnt work anymore?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by JimmyJuneau, Aug 26, 2001.

1. JimmyJuneau

JimmyJuneau 1/2 ton status

Ok I had the wonderful challenge of taking out and replacing the heater core. What the hell were they thinking when they put that one screw there? But anyways I replaced that and my blower motor last spring and now my heater doesnt work the fuse is good and all the connections and wires are in good shape could it be that my blower motor went out on me again? My truck has AC if that helps any. Any suggestions would be appreciated since aI have about less than a month before it could start snowing here.

1985 GMC JIMMY

2. Pugsley

Pugsley 1/2 ton status

You have a seperate fuse for your A/C clutch if it's out, it will kill the blower motor - check it first.

If the shoe fits, get another one just like it
    <a target="_blank" href=http://pugsley.alloffroad.com>pugsley.alloffroad.com</a>

3. JimmyJuneau

JimmyJuneau 1/2 ton status

Ok I tried that and it didnt work anymore suggestions?

1985 GMC JIMMY

4. bigblue

bigblue 1/2 ton status

Mine stopped once and the connector to the blower was unattached.

Surfing is Life...

5. Michael

Michael 1/2 ton status

You should check the blower relay and/or the blower resistor assembly....if the heater worked before the core change and not after, you might have knocked one or the other loose.

Michael[​IMG]
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.jmartin.net/parker/goose.htm>www.jmartin.net/parker/goose.htm</a>

6. ftn96

ftn96 1/2 ton status

So your fan is just not kicking on now?
    First check the little gadget that has 4 prong plug on it. It is mounted on the evaporator coil box. The big black one that the A/C resevoir line goes into right at the fire wall. There are 2 screws that hold it in. Pull it out and look at the little springs in there. See if any are broken. If not then then you need to replace the relay. That is the little plug assembly that the power wire comes out of and goes to the blower motor itself. Mine is a 90 and the wires are red coming to the relay with some other small ones and a big purple wire going to the motor. We actually took some sand paper and cleaned the contacts on mine and giggered with it with a screw driver and got mine to work. Been working for 2 weeks now. Hope this helps. I can take pics if you need. But you should be able to see what Im talking about. One note, that relay is a hard one to pull out of the little aluminum cover where it mounts but keep pulling it will come out!!!

What is and what should never be....
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.nashvillek5.freeservers.com>www.nashvillek5.freeservers.com</a>

7. Michael

Michael 1/2 ton status

Yeah, the little "spring things" are actually resistors and must be intact. A new relay is only a few bucks....just buy a new one. That way ya won't be off in"BFE" and the heater or A/C crap out again......

Michael[​IMG]
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.jmartin.net/parker/goose.htm>www.jmartin.net/parker/goose.htm</a>