Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

heater dont work..

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by bryguy00b, Oct 13, 2002.

1. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

put the 305/tranny/208 in a while ago. when i turn the heater on...nothing happens. wear do i check connections. i have no experience working on this type of thing, so what are things i should check?

2. NoSmog73

NoSmog73 1/2 ton status

If the blower isnt working then start at the fuse box and the check that you are getting power at the blower motor and if you are getting power there then I would replace the blower motor....mike /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

i should hear it when i turn the ignition on shouldnt i...if im thinknig of the same thing..? but ill check the fuse..thanx!

4. NoSmog73

NoSmog73 1/2 ton status

If you just turn the key to "HOT" then you can hear the fan also...mike /forums/images/graemlins/pimp1.gif /forums/images/graemlins/pimp1.gif /forums/images/graemlins/pimp1.gif /forums/images/graemlins/pimp1.gif

5. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Dunno at what point GM stopped having the fan on all the time was. My heavy duty heater setup has "off" on both the slider for climate control AND the heater blower switch itself.
    So...it may not run with the fan in the two off positions (AC setups only) No AC, I don't think it will run with the blower switch in the "off" position either.

Before the '73-80 guys get all ticked off, I'm talking only 81-91, when I know the blower controls were all the same, at least comparing AC to AC and non-ac to non-ac setups. If you think it runs with the switch in the "off" position, test to see if the fan is getting voltage. Have to admit, I've never checked, but if my fan is running, it is the quietest fan I've ever heard...my dads '74 I can easily hear running.

Dorian

6. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

well if it makes a difference my truck has ac but its not connected and the hoses have been taken out for it. would this have any affect on it? i know the fan does not run in the of position though i hear nothing at all, but when you turn the ignition on my dads 79 its really loud and you can hear it befor you turn the engine over...it does not have ac

7. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

I'd say check the fuses first. Can't remember which one is the fan, if any. I'd assume it has to be fused if ours are both really off when we put the lever in the off position : )

After checking the fuse, I'd check for voltage going to the motor. (voltmeter is your friend) If you've got voltage, its the motor. IIRC, there is also supposed to be a ground running from one of the screws to the body, so make sure if you've got voltage, that the ground is still intact.

If no voltage to the motor, go back and make sure the fuse is getting power. Then I guess its time to pull the gauge bezel, and pull the heater "head" out, and check the brown wire for voltage.