Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

heater ellimination

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by d coenen, Feb 18, 2005.

1. d coenen

d coenen Registered Member

if i remove all my heater parts could i put inthose little heaters you plug into the cig lighter from wal mart ? like mount them each of the de frost and a couple under the dash for your feet . if you could is there away to wire them to gether and just use a switch. reason is mine is totally gutted due to a fire. and how much heat due they really put out? thanks

2. Silver84k5

Silver84k5 1/2 ton status

i dont know about the cig heaters, but have you looked into a mojave heater?

3. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

doubt cig lighter heaters will do much for ya. I think they are more for supplemental heat than anything else. On a 50 degree day they would prolly be fine... but if its 35 and you have frost on the windshield, it aint gonna cut it.

I recently got a mojave style heater from summit. It cost $159.99. It supposedly can put out up to 28000 BTUs. I got the dual vent style. Im gonna run up a hose for defrosting capability when/if I ever need it but other than that it looks like a sweet little heater. Its small, made of metal (no lame plastic crap here!), it comes with a nice 4-position switch, mounting brackets, all the wiring you need and clear directions too. The intake hot water hose inlets are also the same size as the stock ones on my K5. I'll post some pics when I get done with the install.

j