Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

heater fan is only kicking on when it wants to help?

Discussion in '1992-Present Chevy & GMC models' started by hoppy, Dec 8, 2002.

1. hoppy

hoppy Registered Member

i turn on heat and nothing comes out. i feel warmth but no forced air. then when it decides it wants to work it will.
    but not when i need it most. relay switch going? or is fan motor going?

2. MOABDADC22

MOABDADC22 1/2 ton status

Fill out your profile, so we know what vehicle you are talking about. Lots of changes over the years. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. hoppy

hoppy Registered Member

1994 fullsize blazer 5.7liter. any ideas?

4. aaronstorms

aaronstorms Registered Member

I'm also having a problem with the fan, but it works at least, just screams like a banashee at all speeds! Has anyone taken off the blower motor to see if it can be oiled, or does it have to be replaced to fix the noise? Thanks, Aaron

5. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

I've seen that problem from a couple of different things. It can be caused by the control relay flaking out or it can be that the brushes are worn out in the motor. Check for voltage at the motor. If there's voltage, but the motor isn't running, then the motor itself needs to be replaced. If there's no voltage at the motor, then you have to start working back into the wiring to find the problem.

6. HarryH3

It's a lot of work to get the motor out from under the dash. /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif There isn't much you can do to oil the bushings either as it's a sealed unit. /forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif But a now motor only runs $30-40. Replace it and it should be quiet for another 10 years. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

7. aaronstorms

Ouch, it's under the dash? Anything special I should know about getting to it or is it pretty obvious? Price sounds good and a new one is on my list as that thing's driving us batty. Thanks for the tip, Aaron

8. HarryH3

Here's my reply from another post:

Look up under the dash, below the glove box. That's where the blower motor is located. You'll see 2 wires going to the blower motor. One is power, the other is ground. Check to see if there is power on the power wire when the fan should be on. If there is, then the motor is dead. Changing it is a royal pain in the a$$. If there isn't any power at the blower, then you'll have to start working back through the circuit to find out where the power stops.

To change the motor you have to remove the glove box, ECM and the ECM mounting bracket. Then you can remove the sound insulation cover that is over the motor. You'll probably have to loosen the lower part of the dash to get the motor out. The guy that designed that setup needs to be slapped! /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif

9. hoppy

hoppy Registered Member

ok.......i took the blazer to the mechanic. damn chevy's!!!!!!!!!!!! turns out i need a new radiator which is oversized and $500!! thats what was screwing with my heat. i hope!!! altiest thats what he had hoped it would be.
    another note....my 4 wheel drive wasnt working....it turns out they have since changed the way the thing is set up and i have to buy $350 worth of harnesss and adapters.figures!!!!!!!!!!!!!all the week before x-mas. /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif

10. HarryH3

Uhh, find a new mechanic! The radiator doesn't have ANYTHING to do with the heater fan not blowing! /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif And if the radiator does happen to be bad, check out the prices at www.radiator.com. I'll bet you'll find that it's WAY cheaper than $500. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif BTW, a bad radiator would make the engine overheat, which would provide TONS of heat from the heater! /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

I don't understand the harness and adapters thing at all. Can you provide some more details?

11. HarryH3

Check out this link. Plus they'll give ya a 10% discount if you're a CK5 member. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

12. 95 Silverado

95 Silverado 1/2 ton status

you can go to the GM dealer and buy the new style front axle actuator and the adapter harness to install it for around $150, sounds like he's asking a bit much for installation.

13. aaronstorms

Harry, thanks a bunch for the details on swapping out the blower motor. I'll do this as soon as I get back from MT. Aaron

14. hoppy

hoppy Registered Member

ok.....he called back and the blower for the heater is shot. the radiator had nothing to do with it. i wish i had a garage and the know how to fix my own vehicle, id save a crapload of money. does anyone know of a fix-it manual for a 94 fullsize blazer? and can you fix alot in your driveway?

15. JAXSTER

JAXSTER 1/2 ton status

Just replace welcome to GM.