Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Heater fan relay

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by TrcksR4ME, Aug 5, 2004.

1. TrcksR4ME

TrcksR4ME 1/2 ton status

The fan for my heater has quit working, zip nada nothing. I can hear a little click coming from under the hood when I toggle the switch from lo to hi, I assume that is the relay? Looking under the hood I see a relay looking thing attached near the fan with some plugs going into it, would this be the relay? Also where would one get a replacement, is this something Shucks or Napa carries? I would like to replace it before going camping this weekend in case I need to use the heater/defroster or use it to help cool the truck if need be. Thanks! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

2. Okiemuddog

Okiemuddog 1/2 ton status

Yup, that is the relay, most everyone carries them and cheap too. Does your fan wok on other speeds? Most of the time when the relay burns out you just loose the high position. It might be time to replace the whole motor, they seem to be going out a lot recently, selling them quick around here.

Krennen /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. TrcksR4ME

TrcksR4ME 1/2 ton status

Turned out that the blower motor had gone out. I didn't figure it out until splicing a "2nd design" relay from a van into my setup. Turns out the blower from an 84 van fits in a 77 Blazer /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif

4. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

You can directly wire the blower motor too. This is what I am doing on my K5. I took the AC box out and only have the blower motor left. I am going to build a plate to the heater core so I get heat and the blower motor is getting wired to an aux. fuse panel I installed. It will only have hi speed but it will blow lots of air when I flip the toggle.

Harley