Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Heater fan

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by protechk5, Jan 22, 2007.

1. protechk5

protechk5 1/2 ton status

Im having trouble with my heater on my non ac k30. I know the fan works, its just not getting power to it. Theres 3 wires that leave the motor, a blue yellow and orange, right after they leave the motor, its goes to a like 4 or 5 prung thing right next to the motor, what is that?

2. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

That's the resistor setup. Those are how the fan speed is controlled.

It would seem odd for all of them to fail, as I believe the high setting doesn't even pass through the resistor.

I'd check for voltage at each wire on that connector with the fan switch in various positions. If you don't have voltage there, you've got to go back to the heater control unit, and the brown wire that feeds that from the fuse panel. Can't recall if the brown wire is fused or not.

3. protechk5

protechk5 1/2 ton status

yeah i figured it out, the brown power line going to the swtich does have any power to it, is there a fuse for it? its a m1008, and i checked all the fuses on the box and all are good, but its looks like there could be a missing fuse. if not ill just run a new wire to the switch from somewhere.

4. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Nah, don't run a new wire, there is a reason that one doesn't work. You want to be able to easily trace these problems down...helps that everyone knowa exactly what color wire goes to the heater control, as a for instance.

I don't believe the CUCV fuse panels should be any different in this regard than a civvy model, check out dremu's wiring diagrams, and/or autozones to see how that brown wire is run. It COULD be fed using one of the (usually two) little silver relays on the fuse panel.

5. protechk5

protechk5 1/2 ton status

wow those wiring diagrams are amazing

6. protechk5

protechk5 1/2 ton status

yeha well i couldnt figure it out why it wasnt getting power at the switch, but i did by pass it straight to the battery to see if it would work for a while, and your right, the wire seem to be getting pretty warm. it must be a short somewhere between the switch and fan