Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Heater FLOW.... Water through Heater Core.

Discussion in '1982-Present GM Diesel' started by AzzKicker, Feb 10, 2003.

1. AzzKicker

AzzKicker 1/2 ton status

I dont know what the hell the P.O of my truck was thinking. But I noticed on one of the hoses that goes From RAD. to heater core it had a HOSE VALVE. The ones you turn that handle and it stops flow.

I discovered it because we're barely getting winter weather here in South Texas and I noticed there was NO HEAT coming through. So went under hood and opened the valve and BAM the heat started flowing.

Does anyone know why the P.O would do this? I thought maybe for leaks etc. but there arent any.

2. Tybee

Tybee 1/2 ton status

I would say to keep any excess heat out of the cab in those warm Texas summers.

3. JORGE

JORGE 1/2 ton status

VITORIA-GAZTEIZ(ALAVA)BASQUE COUNTRY,SPAIN
    Maybe the original sistem tap didn,t close enough well,and somebody put this valve .Or maybe the core had leaks and this valve was mounted while the core was replaced or repaired.

4. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

You were lucky, on my oldsmobile I didn't have heat no matter what I did, then I was playing with the valve that is vacuum actuated and I broke it (it's plastic).
    So I look inside and I find a big black blob.
    I pull it out and it's black RTV that the PO put to block the heat in the summer.
    I removed that and replaced the valve and now I have heat.
    /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

5. AzzKicker

AzzKicker 1/2 ton status

I did notice today that when the vent heater and everything is set to OFF, i hear a vacuum sound or hiss. When I put the A/C or heater on vent or any other position other than off it goes away. Maybe thats why they did it, so they could have it on heat or cool without actually having heat pass LOL i dont know. The weird things people do /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

6. Tybee

Tybee 1/2 ton status

/forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif