Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Heater gauge

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Muddytazz, Jan 9, 2004.

1. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

My heater gauge all of a sudden started going whacko on me yesturday.

Beginning of story.....

My heater didn't blow any heat and my heater gauge needle would only move about the thickness of the needle. Found out my motor didn't have a t-stat in it /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif well that makes sense why i wasn't getting any heat, put on in, wooohooo i have heat /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Now I notice that my gauge needle goes up early (within a couple of minutes of first starting up, and moves to the halfway line between C and H. But when I turn the burb off, my needle pegs H.

Any ideas on where to start? It has a new temp sender as of 7 months ago (+ or - a couple months).

2. jrecon

jrecon Newbie

Sounds like a dead short somewhere in the wireing or sender is going to ground

3. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

If your saying that it jumps up to operating temp. middle line between C&H, works properly when the ignition is on,and then jumps to H when you shut the ignition off, than I would say everything is working properly. Your thermostat helps it warm up faster. Both my 76' C30 and my K5 warm up quick and the guages will peg when I turn off the ignition.

4. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

well it used to peg C when i turned off the burb when it had no t-stat in it /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif so figure that one out /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

5. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

I don't know, my needle goes wherever it want's when the guage has no power. I wouldn't worry about what the guage says when the motor is off. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif