Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Heater guru's...need some ideas

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Muddytazz, Nov 21, 2002.

1. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

Heater guru\'s...need some ideas

Did a search and came up zip. My heater system is a A/C-Heater in a 75 burb, but I've removed the a/c pump, cooler and lines running to the condensor. I've replaced the stock 4 position fan switch (low, med-low, med-high, high)with a HD 3 position switch(low, med, high), and replaced all the vacuum lines, everything else is stock. Its the Four Season Vacuum System, and what is happening now is air comes out the defrost and lower heat vent no matter if the selector is on Heat or Defrost (Is this normal). Another thing I want to do is have it where I turn on the heater, I get air out of the stock a/c vents since I still have the a/c vents and duct work still installed (is this possible)? I do know that I need to replace the motor/fan and blower resistor (bearing is going on motor, fan is missing fins and I can blow harder than the high setting). Any ideas?

2. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

Re: Heater guru\'s...need some ideas

Anyone have any ideas?

3. fortcollinsram

fortcollinsram 1/2 ton status

I dunno, but my heater does the SAME thing except I have the 4-position switch...I also removed the factory AC...

Chris

4. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

Only reason I have a different switch is cause my stock on was shot, so I replaced it with just an aftermarket toggle.

5. pilgrim

pilgrim 1/2 ton status

i don't know if its the same on your 75 but on my 85 there's a vac operated door, up under the glove box. the way it is hooked up came lose for me, it's a long threaded rod that is clicked into a "u" shaped plastic bracket. mine jumped off. so i just ran on two nuts on either side to hold it better seems to work fine now... i'am thinking that door might keep your heat from reaching your ac vents??? just a guess but it seems if that connection failed on mine it probably will for others.

6. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

I'll check that part out...thanks

7. Michael

Michael 1/2 ton status

This is from my '74 owner's manual:
    Upper selector lever-
    A/C- cold air out of the normal places. (my wording)
    Vent- Outside air is passed thru the system and discharged from heating,defroster and upper outlets.
    Heater-Outside air is delivered thru the heater outlet and with some air thru the defroster outlets. (exact wording)
    Bi-Level- Outside air is deliverd from the heater lower outlet and the defroster duct and upper oulets to provide comfort and keep the winshield and side glass clear under low fogging conditions.
    Def- Outside air is delivered through the defroster outlets only.

That's the way it is suppposed to work, so maybe that'll give something to look into.

8. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

I believe mine works exactly like that expect for 2 things....a/c (cause its gone) and
    </font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    Def- Outside air is delivered through the defroster outlets only.

[/ QUOTE ]
    Mine delivers through the defroster AND heater. Sounds like either my 75 is different or something is wrong.
    Thanks

9. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Sounds like it. The blend door for heat/defrost is just above the floor vent above the tranny hump. Anywhere between heat or defrost is partial to both outlets.