Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Heater hose cutoff valve

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 77crewcab, Jul 9, 2004.

1. 77crewcab

77crewcab 1/2 ton status

This may sound dumb but is there a way to put a shut off valve in-line for the heater hoses so I can shut off coolant flow to the heater in the summer and turn it back on in the winter? I keep thinking of the ball valve for our hot water heater in the house or something like that.
    Thanks
    Monty

2. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

I did that on my '75. It made a big difference in the temps coming from the vents in the summer. All the seals inside the dash are pretty much shot after this much time, so keeping the heater core cool is a good thing. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif I bought the valve with hose nipples at NAPA. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

3. 77crewcab

77crewcab 1/2 ton status

Do you have a part number or rember the price? If I go in and tell them what I want to do will they know the part I need? Did you do it in just the "in" line or in both lines? Glad to hear I'm not the only one thinking of this. Thanks
    Monty

4. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

I did it about 10 years ago. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif Just told them what I wanted and they looked up some valves in a book behind the counter. I just have one valve, blocking one line. Just preventing circulation through the heater core made plenty of difference. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

5. 77crewcab

77crewcab 1/2 ton status

Okay thanks!

6. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

I shut my heater off in the summer too(all 2 months of it!).I used a ball vavle just like the one mentioned for hot water house plumbing from home depot,about 5 bucks plus a few more for the barbed fittings.The one I originally used was still in a peice of copper tubing,look like it was cut from someones house! but it leaked after 10 years,so I had to change it.It makes a big difference in the cab temparature. I've seen people use c-clamps and blocks of wood,or vise grips to do the same thing,but I wouldnt be that crude--! /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif..or would I? /forums/images/graemlins/ignore.gif

7. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

198x-1988 Cutlass Supremes/Salons/Calais with the 307 used a coolant shutoff valve, all of them I am aware of. It is a fairly big unit, but I bet it would thread right into the truck fitting on the intake.

8. 77crewcab

77crewcab 1/2 ton status

You're talking about the G-bodies right like the Regal and Grand National style full size RWD is that right? Where is it located? Does it shut off the coolant to the intake or to the heater core?

9. oilburner

oilburner Registered Member

You might also check out any 2.2 Chrysler product from about 84 and up. The have a 4-outlet "diverter" valve assembly, and it is activated by a vacuum signal. It cuts off the hot water flow until it gets a vacuum pulse, then it allows the coolant to flow to the core in the cabin. I have an '86 Daytona, and I know these pieces were in all the 2.2 I4 bangers of that era - Daytona/Laser, Omni/Charger, etc. Might score one from a junker for cheap. Just be careful, their only drawback is that they are composite(plastic). My $0.02
    G/forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/crewcab.gif

10. 77crewcab

77crewcab 1/2 ton status

Thanks guys I think just the simple valve from Napa or Home Depot or something will work fine for me. Something nice and easy to operate.

11. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Well, A/G bodies (year break was 1982) but anyways...yes. Regal, Monte, Cutlass, Grand Prix.

I believe the Olds was the only one with that valve, although I could certainly be wrong...they are the only ones I deal with. Any Cadillac in the 80's with a V8 could also be a donor...the 307 was pretty common in the 80's cadillacs, next to that 4.1 or whatever they started using.

On the Olds typically it was mounted on the passenger rear of the intake, vertically. I've also seen "inline" ones that didn't mount to anything, just hose clamped into the line, but I think those were probably cheap aftermarket replacements, which would probably work good for you.

They are vacuum operated. (off of the AC control)